VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraines

Rate this question

Fletch

Question

Well...I was previously rated at 40% and the breakdown is 30% for Sacroiliac Dysfunction and 10% for Migraines. I had one of those exams where you go in and they check you out again. I was armed with my civilian medical records and a letter from my doctor stating that my migraines are 3 to 5 times a month in frequency and are prostrating. I even had my employer write a letter as well to attest to how many times I called out or went home because of these headaches. (22 days total)

VA's response:

The evaluation of migraine headaches is increased to 30% disabling. An evaluation of 30% is granted whenever there are characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average of once a month over the last several months. A higher evaluation of 50% is not warranted unless they are very frequent, completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.

Since there is a likelihood of improvement, the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination.

^^^What kind of bull is this? I gave them every treatment record I had since 1993 to present. The facts show an increase in frequency and that they are prostrating. They even put in their own response that 30% means that I have an attack once a month on average. I have 3 to 5 and they have all the evidence. Maybe I just don't know what very frequent is to get that 50% rating. This is so frustrating dealing with them. It seems like they like to play with our lives. Totally stressing me out.

How do they figure your total rating? I now am rated 30% for Sacroiliac Dysfunction and 30% for Migraines and 0% for blood pressure and they told me my rating is now 50%. I was at 40%. I just was awarded 20% more than I had and it only equaled a 10% increase of my total rating?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!

Fletch

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

for example this is how the combined rating schedule gets you 4 ratings at 50% and only gets you 94% and when it rounds down you get 90% unless you apply for I/U.....(unless you count any bilateral factors

but here goes the explanation

if you take a whole 100% and you take a 50% away you get= 50% so now you have 50% ability

now your at 50% and 50% of that is 25 so add that to the 50 and you get 75% for those who are keeping track that is 2 ratings at 50%= 75% combined

take 75% and now you have a remaining 25% of functional health.... what is 50% of that remaining 25%= 12.5 that gives you 88% so now you have three ratings at 50% right? like I said not considering any bilateral factors......what is 50% of the remaining 12.5% of functional ability 6.25 add that to 88% and you get 94.25=rounded down to the nearest whole number= 94% rating. However when they give you your rating letter they will say you are 90% SC not 94%.....but if you were to file a claim they would go from that percentage......94.

I am not saying I agree with the math. However, I have said it before, I go through training and conferences, and ask questions to the outlets/resources available to me. Now oddly enough, I can do this in my head without looking at the combined rating schedule until we start going into SMC and it doe make it slightly harder when we consider bilateral factors......but thats the VA Math explained

So thats how they get the 4 50's don't equal 200% not 100%....ratings in themselves have been scrutinized by many as not evaluating the veteran as a whole but by its parts.....both in the VARO and VAMC....

Edited by spike

Thanks Spike! Very good explanation. I totally understand it from your post.

Another question...

How do I only rate 0% for my blood pressure? (Hypertension)

I'm not on any medications. I'm self regulated. I know what to eat if my blood pressure gets too high. I've tried my best to stay off the medications. Is this the reason why I'm only 0%?

Looking forward to your answers!

Fletch