VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris And Congressional Inquiries

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

I am still in the process of trying to get my month of death payment for my husband's Feb 2007 death. The funds were taken out of my bank account August 2007 - though when I received a copy of the C-file I found a Finance Operations transmittal sheet in my file, dated June 28, 2007 that states, "Surviving Spouse entitled to one time payment of amt of comp or pen received by veteran at time of death. Remove overpayment (08E Transaction) if payment is not returned. 38 CFR 3.20©"

Of course, I followed up on that in May 2008, when I found it. And of course, the VA said they had forwarded my request and I would get a response by letter.

I went to the VA site and did what they said to do for the widow benefit through the Special Outreach they are having -- which is to submit the info through the IRIS system - through the Month of Death Payment link.

I submitted the initial one January 19, 2009. I got the auto response that says I should expect to hear from them in 5 business days.

I didn't get any other response - so I submitted a follow up on February 3, 2009. Again, I only got the auto response.

It does say the request is routed to the 'VBA NASHMOD' group.

My question is - I also asked my Congressman to look into the matter.

Does that also slow down the IRIS responses? Or make them not respond to you at all?

I am not sure how important an IRIS response is -- since all the responses they have given me over the last two years have not resulted in a month of death check yet. But for some reason, I still like them to respond to my requests for information on my claim.

Does anyone have any experience using IRIS if a Congressman is involved? Does the VA not respond directly to you any more?

I realize this is about a widow benefit - but I hope it doesn't get bumped down to the widow and orphan section yet.

It gets pretty lonely down there.

Free

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Sharon,

I actually did contact my Congressman in mid-January. He sent a letter in my behalf. But I always got responses to my IRIS before now. I had even wondered if they didn't answer me, because they were going to answer the Congressman.

I still have not received an answer to any of the three IRIS - But I DID get the check for the month of death payment on Friday.

Free

Call your congressman. I bet they will answer him/her.

Bronco -

I don't think my claim has been farmed out to Nashville. My IRIS on other issues still go through the IRIS response center - and get routed to Chicago. Someone at the IRIS response center answers - and lets me know that they have routed it to Chicago.

But the ones that I send and use the Survivor Month of Death Payment link go straight to the VA NASHMOD unit - and they NEVER answer.

It sure is a heck on an outreach program - when they route the month of death inquiries directly to a unit that never answers.

Par for the course, I suppose.

By the way - I actually DID get my check this week (most likely due to the Congressional Inquiry).

Free

Free

I am guessing that "VA NASHMOD" means something about the Nashville RO..probably. Has your claim been "farmed out" to Nashville?

They have changed IRIS recently. IRIS USED go to your RO, but now, I think they have people who do nothing but answer IRIS emails. I like this change. The reason is that I think the new method requires "just a little bit" of accountability. It is about the only thing even close to accountability in the entire VA.

For example, if I sent a complaint to the RO in Cleveland..they would probably just shred it. If I sent them an IRIS email, they would probably just delete the email. However, now SOMEBODY ELSE (with IRIS) will get my complaint and probably forward it to Cleveland. So, Cleveland, has an electronic paper trail, and they cant just delete my complaint..because IRIS will know about that.

Oh, and yes, the VA does ignore widows..but dont feel like the lone ranger because they ignore Vets, too.