VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Rating Board

Rate this question

pdandrea

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Has anyone ever heard of a secondary rating board? When are they used? why are they used? Is this good or bad?

I have never heard of that. I wouldn't know why we would use them, and can't really say if it would be good or bad.

I guess a DRO could be a secondary rater (usually in Appeal cases).

Mostly sounds like it would drag up more "red tape" to the whole process as it is. I could be wrong, though. Uncle Sam comes up with some wacky things these days.

Some ROs have Rating Board 1 (00-49) and Rating Board 2 (50-99). This is for cases ending in those as the last two numbers. Perhaps that is what you are asking about?

There is no such thing as a secondary rating board. Once a claim is completed, it is sent to the post determination team who supplies the authorization needed (signatures). This authorizer reviews the claim to insure accuracy and then signs the award letter.

As provided below, I guess one could, in simple terms, consider the DRO process as a secondary rating board. This process is only used if you disagree with the rating and initates a NOD which begins the informal appeals process.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are secondary rating issues that vets sometimes get rated for. But as far as a secondary rating board, never heard of it.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is that new rule that deals with extraordinary awards. I can't remember the name of it, but it kicks in when the vet wins a large sum of retro money. Another person, or group of people has to review the award in a attempt to reduce it. I wonder if this is what they were talking about. Outside of that, I have never heard of a secondary rating board, either.

Rental,

I consider the extraordinary awards review as a new administrative proceedure. It is my understanding it was enacted outside of the established rule making process.

Thank you for all the good information and advice you provide.

Best regards,

Tyler