VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Extra Benefits At 50%

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

I thought I read somewhere there are extra benefits if you reach 50%. Other than the obvious extra compensation, are there other benefits if you are 50% or greater?

Thanks

Tom

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I couldnt find it here- but it is here somewhere-

Cowgirl is right _DFAS has much info and this is good info too-

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...aring-crsc-crdp

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, the people you need to let know at your VAMC is the Cost Recovery Team. And, yes, you will get a "refund" of the co-pays that you have been charged for the care you have received "for the portion of your care as related to your SERVICE CONNECTED disability". In other words, they could (and are supposed to) only pay you back the co-pays that you have paid for your service-connected disability. Any OTHER care you have received and have paid co-pays for, are NOT covered under the strict interpretation of the rules concerning co-pays. Having said that, I asked, when I received my increase in rating (from 20% to 100%) and the gal told me that I didn't need to worry about what was and what wasn't covered under the co-pay rules......that it is almost impossible for them to be able to determine, with any degree of accuracy what part of your health care is actually connected with your service-connected disability and what part is due to something else. For example, my Welbutrin that I am prescribed for my Major Depression is also prescribed for smoking cessation and it would take someone digging through my medical records to determine that my particular prescription for Welbutrin WAS for my service-connected disability and NOT for smoking cessation, and, they do NOT have the expertise or the TIME to do this...........so, you'll most likely get back whatever you've paid in, as concerns your prior co-pays.

I got back, like, $845.

Is there there a percentage of service connection that needs to be acquired for dependents to be covered for educational benefits under CH 35?

Yes, TDIU or 100 percent P&T.

• HadIt.com Elder

You must have a 100% rating at P&T. That includes a TDIU 100% rated P&T or as sometimes said no future exams.

Thats what it was, the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP). Also some good info about CRSC. I have 6 years left for 20 good years in the Reserves and I am trying to stick it out. Just checking to see if it is worth it. Since i can get both retirement and disability pay I think it is. Hopefully I won't get a medical review or PEB. In hindsight i should have stayed on active duty when I got back from Iraq and tried for a medical retirement, but as they say hindsight is 20/20.