VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Questions

Rate this question

crabbyone

Question

I filed my claim in June of 08. Still don't have an answer-had to go to hearing exam and leg/knee exam. I got SSB when I left active duty with 14 years active service and went in the Reserves. I took physical in Sep 07 for Reserves. Was informed by Dr. that I had hearing loss and to expect MRB, especially with my knee problem (rated a P3 for hearing and lower extremities (PULHES=113131), but no MRB. Decided to retire in May 08 and filed claim. After my exams, this is what I have been told. I have tinnitus in both ears, a 30% hearing loss, one leg is 1/4 inch shorter than the other due to a parachute accident while on active duty (broke tibula and fibula) and a subluxation and tendonitis in the opposite knee. I frequently have to wear a brace on my knee due to the pain and problems I have. The hearing Dr said I was a good candidate for hearing aids, but nothing could be done for tinnitus. Everything documented, but nothing since I left active duty. Was told then to take ibuprofrin for knee pain as needed.

My 1st question is this: What rating should I expect to get? 30, 40 or 50%

My 2nd question is this: Has a waiver of recoupment ever been granted for someone eligible for retirement but that had collected SSB so it did not have to be repaid out of retirement money or compensation?

My 3rd question is this: If I get compensation, I was told that I only had to give up a minimum of 10% of the compensation as recoupment towards my SSB debt and I would get the rest. Is this the deal or is there something else?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome, hope to hear good news on your claim. Do you have a vso? or have you gone independent?

Checking in with VA by means of Iris helps a vet understand where they 'may' be at in the process. Once my Iris feedback(email) even helped me give the VA additional documentation to help decide my claim.

Best to ya, will check back in time to time to see where you are at in the process,

Cg'up2009!

I am qualified to answer PART of your question..the hearing loss only. Someone else will likely have to

answer the rest.

I will "tell it like it is" rather than tell you what you want to hear. This is what will likely happen..not to say its right, or that it shouldnt be fixed..I agree it needs fixing..bad.

Your disability rating for hearing loss, will likely be 0% or less. Yes, you heard that right. There is something less than 0%, and that is to be denied. A 0% evaluation gets me hearing aids, and batteries, which I have worn for 12 years.

I have a 55 decibel AVERAGE hearing loss, in both ears. For me, that means I can not watch movies/TV AT ALL unless they are closed captioned. Yes, you understood right. I have worn hearing aids for 12 years, cant go to the movies because I cant understand what they say without the "words". My audioligist (VA!) calls my hearing loss "Severe"..the VA calls it 0%.

To get any sort of compensation from the VA for hearing loss, you have to be profoundly deaf.

I do, however, get 10% for tinnitus, and that is the maximum for tinnitus. There is no such thing at the VA for "bilateral" tinnitus. You get ONE 10% for tinnitus, or nothing. Nobody gets 20% for tinnitus in both ears. I dont know why, its just the "VA" way.

Edited by broncovet

Can you explain the SSB money? do you mean Special Separation Benefit?

"After my exams, this is what I have been told. I have tinnitus in both ears, a 30% hearing loss, one leg is 1/4 inch shorter than the other due to a parachute accident while on active duty (broke tibula and fibula) and a subluxation and tendonitis in the opposite knee. I frequently have to wear a brace on my knee due to the pain and problems I have. The hearing Dr said I was a good candidate for hearing aids, but nothing could be done for tinnitus. Everything documented, but nothing since I left active duty. Was told then to take ibuprofrin for knee pain as needed."

Was from the C & P exam- by a VA doc?

Or was this from an inservice exam?

Do you have copys of your SMRs and Discharge Physical?

Are you referring to the CRDP/CRSC program?

How long were you in the reserves?

I am unaware of any type of waiver you could ask for.

It could be possible -

Are you asking for eligibility for CRSC or CRDP info?

Try http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...aring-crsc-crdp

and the DFAS site www.dfas.mil/

Can you explain the SSB money? do you mean Special Separation Benefit?

Yes-I spent 14 yrs active, took Special Seperation Benefit (SSB) of about $55000 and left active duty-had to do 6 years in in-active or active reserve status

"After my exams, this is what I have been told. I have tinnitus in both ears, a 30% hearing loss, one leg is 1/4 inch shorter than the other due to a parachute accident while on active duty (broke tibula and fibula) and a subluxation and tendonitis in the opposite knee. I frequently have to wear a brace on my knee due to the pain and problems I have. The hearing Dr said I was a good candidate for hearing aids, but nothing could be done for tinnitus. Everything documented, but nothing since I left active duty. Was told then to take ibuprofrin for knee pain as needed."

Was from the C & P exam- by a VA doc?

Yes-went to VA hospital in Winston-Salem NC for exam on left knee and right leg. Dr on Active Duty diagnosed it as subluxation and tendonitis and put me on a permanent profile against running. Had trouble all the time during Reserve status and supplied all documents when I filed my claim.

Or was this from an inservice exam?

NO

Do you have copys of your SMRs and Discharge Physical?

Yes-supplied all documents from SMR and ETS Physical, along with results from all physicals I took while in Reserves

Are you referring to the CRDP/CRSC program?

NO

How long were you in the reserves?

Sep 98 through May 08

I am unaware of any type of waiver you could ask for.

It could be possible -

Are you asking for eligibility for CRSC or CRDP info?

NO

Forgot to mention that I went to VA in Durham NC for hearing exam. Dr indicated 30% hearing loss as well as bilateral tinitus. Said that as long as I got at least a 0% rating, I would be able to get hearing aids, batteries, etc as it was service connected.