VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am So Confused

Rate this question

Herkemeyer

Question

Hello All,

I have been lurking around the site for a couple of months, but finally decided to jump in. I am confused at the wording on the schedule. I had wrist surgery approx. one year ago, prior to my ETS. This is what the schedule says:

5214 Wrist, ankylosis of:

Unfavorable, in any degree of palmar flexion, or with

ulnar or radial deviation.................................................................... 50......... 40

Any other position, except favorable.................................................. 40......... 30

Favorable in 20º to 30º dorsiflexion.................................................... 30......... 20

Note: Extremely unfavorable ankylosis will be rated as loss of use of hands under diagnostic code 5125.

At my C&P, the examiner noted my range of motion at 45degrees palmer flexion and 30 degrees dorsal flexion. So if I have pain when my wrist flexes forward than I have ankylosis in any degree. Am I right here? I have not received my rating yet, I just want to be prepared for all situations and have a plan. Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have you requested a copy of the results of the C & P exam from the VAMC where it occurred?

Okay, So I received my C&P Copy on Saturday and here is what it said about my right wrist. Here is what it said:

surgery performed to repair L/T ligament

ROM

Palmer flexion 0 to 45 % with moderate pain

Dorsal flexion 0 to 50% with moderate pain

Supination and pronation not abnormal

patient refrains from lifting over 35 lbs.

Final Diagnosis - Chronic right wrist sprain - post-surgical

No X-rays were taken due to surgery within the past year.

I guess this raises more questions. Like does this diagnosis preclude a presence of ankylosis? Or how do I get a chronic wrist sprain as a result of surgery? Kind of sounds like I might be getting the smoke blown up my Keester.

Anyone care to comment or advise.

thanks,

eric

Yeah, I'm no doc....but that dx sounds like a load of crap. "Chronic wrist sprain"????

Maybe someone else on here has had a similar condition and will be able to offer advice. Who do you see regularly for your wrist? What does that doc say about it?

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get a IMO, and there are two things you need to addess. 1. Nerve damage? and how much. 2. Is this your dominant hand? My guess is that you need to do that. If you don't get an IMO you will be given service connection, at 0% as a guess.