VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Surprise, Surprise

Rate this question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Question

Guest Vietnam Tanker

Well I was shocked this morning in the mail I received a copy of my C-file that I had requested three years ago from the St Petersburg RO, Now I am overwhelmed and do not know where to start next. I will take a few day's to go through thhe 15 hundred or so pages and see what I can come up with. So if I am not around for a few members will understand what I am doing. Thanks for all the support and concern, especially Wings and Berta and Pete for always being there.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have started with piles all over but by subject matter ie medical records, personnel records, dental, promotions, awards, citations, DD214 at the start, history's & physicals,immmunizations etc....then date oriented, and all kept alphabetically, and numerically in folders/files and can use binders with tabs, as others have offered advice too.

Start small, allow much time, don't get discouraged. You will need alot of space, I used the floor and sat in the middle while surrounding myself with files in a circular pattern thereby alowing me space to comtinue to get larger with my circle of papers. Don't forget your pre and post service physicals too.

ALWAYS get copies of your medical records from each visit to your provider/dr/counselor etc and keep them alphabetical and date oriented too.

No matter who you see, VA or outside help, always get copies to keep at all times. If you doubt if you need to keep something, keep it! You never know if it may help you with a NOD claim or other. It may help to show continunity of care for your claim or help with an IMO too.

Make a folder for misc and you can put it there if unsure where to place it.

Be prepared at all times. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Edited by halos2

Isn't it incredible that you could copy 1500 pages at Kinko's in 6 hours or less, but it takes the VA 3 years to do this? I am convinced this is more than just backlog..after all, how long would you have to train someone to operate a copy machine? The VA probably has some sort of procedure for copying C files that goes something like this:

1. Veteran submits, IN WRITING request for copy of C-file.

2. VARO receives request, then shreds it, thinking it was evidence.

3. Veteran calls back and asks about request for copies of C-file.

4. VARO says they know nothing about request for C-file to resubmit.

5. Veterans starts over with step one, and repeats until a new employee gets your request and forwards it to the wrong place.

6. Request sits in a pile with other stuff for about 2 years.

7. While looking for other papers, an honest VA employee comes across your request.

8. He takes it to his supervisor, because he doesnt know what to do with it, because he is new employee.

9. The supervisor is a new supervisor, and doesnt know any better either, so he orders your c file copied.

10. Experienced VA manager catches new employee copying Cfile for Veteran and scolds employee for trying to help "the enemy" (Veterans) because he knows the Veteran will use this information to probably win his claim.

11. New employee completes copying but gets fired for serving Veterans before it can be mailed to you.

12. Replacement employee mails you your copies.

• HadIt.com Elder

Reminder if copying at Kinkos, do it yourself; safest. Found that if I use a different color paper (pastel color), helps me remember to put it back in 'my file' or at least filing catch all box. (lazy with papers here).

Cg

• HadIt.com Elder

Vietnam Tanker

Wait until the VA says that you are not a Vietnam vet or that they don't have your DD214 in order to deny your claim. This happened to me. I produced the DD214 myself and sent one copy to the VA and one to my congressman. I got a half-ass apology from the VA. Just never trust the VA to do the right thing.