VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Morphine Sulfate

Rate this topic

has anyone ever taken this medication before. my doctor says that the pharmacy at the va has taken oxycodone off the shelves so she prescribe me this med. if anyone can give me any feed back on this as far as side effects or any info would be nice. i haven't received the meds yet so i wouldn't know what to expect. she put me on 15mg (2x a day).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone ever taken this medication before. my doctor says that the pharmacy at the va has taken oxycodone off the shelves so she prescribe me this med. if anyone can give me any feed back on this as far as side effects or any info would be nice. i haven't received the meds yet so i wouldn't know what to expect. she put me on 15mg (2x a day).

The VA has NOT taken Oxycodone off the Formulary, I get 120 pills per month. As of 1-20-2009 http://www.pbm.va.gov/natform/VA%20Nationa...UARY%202009.xls

I was on the Morphine Sulphate before switched to Oxycodone..it is cheaper for thee VA and did NOT work at all for me, plus it made me so constipated that I was taking 3 different laxatives, fiber etc with still no results. Oxycodone did give me some constipation, but I eat 1 small cup of Activia per day and everything works now. I would insist on continuing Oxycodone, show them this Jan 09 VA Formulary which shows Oxcycodone has not been discontinued, I was told personally by the Chief of Pharmacy at my VAMC that the VA MUST buy the cheapest drugs available and would not be accountable if the drug was ineffective and harmed someone. In Nov my Hypertension medicine was changed to a medicine manufactured in India by a Company which had all kinds of negative reports from the FDA, even the FDA said the medicine they gave me was NOT FDA approved, later into an investigation, a higher up FDA Official e-mailed me that it was FDA approved...but who does one believe??? But, since the medicaton did NOT work for me, it sent me to the local ER upon advice from the VA ER, with stroke level blood pressure. After I insisted on a different brand medicine, and taking it for 2 days, my BP went back to normal. The VAMC was totally unconcerned saying they could not monitor medications they buy, and folks speak so badly of socialized medical care, could it be worse???????

• HadIt.com Elder

I took the morphine and it made me sick every time I took it. If you ask for oxycontin which is long acting oxycodone formulation they will deny you. I have been on methadone, morphine and oxycodone. None are adequate to my needs. Methadone is dangerous.

I took the morphine and it made me sick every time I took it. If you ask for oxycontin which is long acting oxycodone formulation they will deny you. I have been on methadone, morphine and oxycodone. None are adequate to my needs. Methadone is dangerous.

they did not deny me or my fellow veteran that went with me to the vamc, one here in pa. then i figured it out. someone told me that it has something to do with my last name - drehe, ha ha. but it isn't such a big deal as we only get 60 oxycontin 80mg each month. how many mg of morphine do you get ? before we each got 60 of the 100mg. good luck.

That morphine just doesn't cut it for pain. It made me itchy, constipated, and didn't touch the pain. Maybe it's the form that it's in now. i had it once before back in the 70's and it was blue in color and it was great for the pain...still made me itchy.

For the longest time i was getting percocet which worked better than the same amount of oxycodone without the tylenol. But mixing tylenol and oxycodone at the same time just doesn't pack the same effect. That's why they took percocet out of the VA pharmacy. My PCP told me that they don't know why but percocets give people a buzz that straight oxy doesn't.

The methadone was the best and the worst for me. After a year i couldn't just miss a day without going into withdrawls. The other narcotics didn't have the same effect. Now i'm back on stright oxy. If i don't need it i don't take it but if you read the fine print of the contract it's a violation to take less than RX'd and can be contrued as drug abuse. Go figure.