VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Treatment

Rate this topic

I am 50% for PTSD but was just recently rated. Can someone advise what the "MST" means? Can the VA drop our ratings if we refuse to go thru these in patient programs?

Is this something all PTSD patients are set up to do?

Sorry for all the questions...

Purple, I don't see how they could expect you to drop everything and go to Florida for this... especially if you don't want too. I hope they back off and leave you alone.

Erich

MILITARY SEXUAL TRAUMA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erich-

As far as what the VA can or can't do...who really knows. What I was told though is that it is highly likely that if a vet goes through one of the 7-week inpt programs PRIOR to being rated for PTSD their chances of obtaining a higher rating are screwed because the VA will declare them "cured".

More than one person working in the VA system has told me this. And I don't doubt it for a minute.

And yes....I don't see how the VA expects anyone to just drop their lives for 7 weeks. I'm still being "asked" (pushed) about doing this program. The ppl asking me don't have children, they don't understand why I just can't up and leave for 7 weeks.

I know one woman vet who went through that program. Initially she did very well after returning...she had nothing but good reviews for the program (she went to the one at the Cincinnati VA); but several months later she was back to square one. She said it was like she never went and she realizes there is no "cure" for PTSD. Something those of us who have it know....but try to tell that to the VA.

It has been close to 40 years since I fought in xcombat missions in Vietnam. PTSD is part of my life and I am always told we can live with it but it is not curable at this time. I have been tossed turn and manipulated by a lot of Psyches, MD's and PhD.'s in the VA and so far I still have PTSD.

I go to every clinic i am told I should try. After a few meetings with non-Vet evaluators I find them to be unable to truly speak to them because they simply cannot manage my PTSD..They seem to be so far off baase it is a try but to date it doesn't work for me. When I tell my VA Psyche MD and he says to stop attending the appointments so I cancel them with his approval. I always try every suggestion and sometimes the suggested appointments do not work for me. The only thing to date I find comaraderie is through group meetings with other PTSD combat vets..

MST meetings may just help you in a way. You would be better off attending than not attending at least one.