VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long To Wait For Copy Of C-file

Rate this question

dtclou

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It really depends on where you are and their load factor.

My VAMC & VARO are side by side and close to me ... but that makes no difference.

A VAMC complete file usually takes 4 to 8 weeks for me to get.

Updated VAMC files ... that I used to be able to pickup on the spot ... now are mailed and take aprox 3 to 4 weeks.

VARO files are a crap shoot here. ... First time I ordered them .. never got them.

Second time that I order them ... it took maybe 4 to 6 months ... the VARO is very slow here. And it might depend on the size of the file too.

If i remember correctly .... the VAMC files are printed off of a computer here.

However ... the VARO files are hand copied from a file folder ...or that is the way that I remeber most of the VARO records. .....Now with this "hand coping process" .. you get bad copies, 1/2 pages, missed pages and etc.

After you get the VARO file ... take it to the VARO office (if possible) and make sure your VARO copy matches their copy at the VARO.

I hope that this made some sense. ???

... Mahoo .. aka .. Bill ... ;)

PS .. You need ALL of the VAMC & VARO files to use as your base line for your claims.

I did not have any VA paperwork when I filed my first claim for a disability increase in 1999 and it took until 2001 (2 years) for an award ... but then the claims were retro'ed back to filing date in 1999.

It basically took the VA 2 years to gather up ALL of my military records and civilian records ... but after they had ALL the records .. the awards came very quickly. .... Just my experience and many have different experiences with the VA on here. Some requests for VA paperwork and/or claims go faster and some go slower.

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, when you request a copy of your C-file using the 1974 Privacy Act, the VA is suppose to respond within 20 days. However, due to the enormous amount of claims at some regional offices, that rarely happens. From personal experience, it has taken between 6-8 weeks for my regional office to respond.

Vike 17

Wow, Kudos to Boise for super fast C-file release. I posted to get a ballpark time frame. I got the HUGE file yesterday Priority Mail. Only took 2 weeks from request including mail time!!!

Now I am trying to go thru all this stuff....... It's huge, but does look like there are missing SMR, so far nothing about the poison fruit, but does have follow up colon surgery.

There are 3 requests from them to obtain his unit/station records -non of those are in here.

I've got some questions, I'll make a new post.

DeeDee- They have Service Medical Records in the C-fie - which you need to help link Service Connection.