VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ad Rape - Engaged In Combat With The Enemy

Rate this question

carlie

Question

I've been asking myself for a few years now,

why is it that VA does not consider victims of

active duty rape, the same as a combat veteran -

when you take into consideration the definition of

"engaged in combat with the enemy" ?

When you are raped on AD, I no longer consider it as

raped by a fellow service member, I see it as rape is an

encounter with a military foe, a hostile unit, an enemy force.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files5/0840201.txt

VA's General Counsel has held that the ordinary meaning of

the phrase "engaged in combat with the enemy," as used in 38

U.S.C.A. § 1154(b), requires that a veteran "have

participated in events constituting an actual fight or

encounter with a military foe or hostile unit or

instrumentality."

What do other's feel on this issue ?

carlie

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I've been asking myself for a few years now,

why is it that VA does not consider victims of

active duty rape, the same as a combat veteran -

when you take into consideration the definition of

"engaged in combat with the enemy" ?

When you are raped on AD, I no longer consider it as

raped by a fellow service member, I see it as rape is an

encounter with a military foe, a hostile unit, an enemy force.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files5/0840201.txt

VA's General Counsel has held that the ordinary meaning of

the phrase "engaged in combat with the enemy," as used in 38

U.S.C.A. § 1154(<_<, requires that a veteran "have

participated in events constituting an actual fight or

encounter with a military foe or hostile unit or

instrumentality."

What do other's feel on this issue ?

carlie

Carlie, I do agree. I would go one step farther and add in sdrvice Personal Assaults to the list.

John

I have to disagree,

rape is not the same as combat. I think it may be worse, but the VA needs to stand up and do something for the victims. One of my Soldiers was raped three weeks ago, and I see the crime against her as it is, a rape. The Army did not have anything to do with it. The two are not related. Since I am a man, I can only assume that rape is worse than combat, so to even compare them is not fair to the victims of rape.....

There needs to be specific counselors or experts to help the victims just as they are gearing up for PTSD in combat, they should fix the lack of PTSD for rape victims. I hope noone sees this as anything but support for rape victims,

plain and simple, they deserve better, but a rape is a rape and not a military operation and to connect the two doesnt make sense and I think even putting military in MST is taking something away from the victim

I like your question. I want to ponder it a bit longer because I am torn. I am inclined to agree with SFCTRUCKDRIVER.

Combat is bad, and I have strong emotions about that (one of my oldest son's is serving in Iraq right now).

But the rape I experienced cannot be compared because it was a violation of my person...not my country as a whole. I did not fight on principle or as ordered...but MY fight was for MY life, which I believed was at stake, which made it much much much more personal.

• HadIt.com Elder
I like your question. I want to ponder it a bit longer because I am torn. I am inclined to agree with SFCTRUCKDRIVER.

Combat is bad, and I have strong emotions about that (one of my oldest son's is serving in Iraq right now).

But the rape I experienced cannot be compared because it was a violation of my person...not my country as a whole. I did not fight on principle or as ordered...but MY fight was for MY life, which I believed was at stake, which made it much much much more personal.

And, if I may add, much more TRAUMATIC!

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a 5 year old daughter. I watch all the time where she goes, so I am always aware. If anyone hurt her they would discover just how creative I could be.

Well, Mike, we thought we were watching her, being very careful.

But, there is no way to combat something you can't see coming......like the next door 16 year old walking into the back yard where my daughter was playing and pulling her into their garage. This is a kid that mowed our grass, whose sister used to baby-sit for us, whose Father was a member of the same lodge as myself.

And, I was away from home that afternoon, working. Her mother was there and her mother blamed herself for NOT watching our daughter, but, of course, it wasn't her fault, either. I'd have done the same thing......thinking that an eight foot chain-link fence was adequate, never thinking that someone would be bold enough to walk into OUR garage and into our backyard. Of course, our daughter didn't think anything was amiss so she never got a chance to resist or whatever a 5 year-old could do.

TRIGGER

I have two girls, 7 and 3,

I would ensure the creep who touches them gets a long prison term, I would visit the biggest inmate in his prison (I dont mean in weight or height) everyday and pay him to get my justice, everynight . no easy way out there...