VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab And Dro Hearing Question.

Rate this question

Quint7

Question

I sent an Iris today asking this and I'm wondering if anyone has input.

I had a DRO hearing in Buffalo almost 3 months ago (Dec.17th 2008) and have heard nothing at all other than "we are waiting for the transcript of the hearing" which I got via Iris 2-3 weeks ago).

About Feb 23rd I filed online for Voc. Rehab. I got an email informing me that my application was received and to "stand by" for more when VA Buffalo contacts me.

I sent an Iris today asking if:

1) There was any progress on my DRO appeal as I had received nothing from VA about it. (I didn't mention the previous Iris about the transcript).

2) Will the appeal (DRO) and the Voc Rehab application be able to go on at the same time or will one have to be completed before anything moves forward?

I am 70% and have tried learning about Voc Rehab but to be honest most of what I've found is people saying not to do it (Voc Rehab) cause they want TDIU or something. I have read some posts that had people saying "I never would've considered XYZ if I hadn't gone through the Voc Rehab testing". I'm in the 2nd group (I think). I just turned 39 and although I am ready to flip out on everyone I work with, if there genuinely is something I could do and have VA train or educate me for it I'd rather do that then spend the next however many years sitting in my house angry at the world.

Has anyone been in the same situation with an appeal and an application to Voc Rehab?

Any other input anyone can add is welcome to please.

Thanks!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
T&B:

I was not aware that Independent Living paid a Veteran 540 a month. Can you explain where you got this info? If you are right many Veterans could qualify just for the asking.

Pete,

Here is the link for voc-rehab monthly rates. I dont know how long of a period you can collect for though.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/sa/09/safy09_rates.pdf

sorry for replys in answers Quint-many of us are overwhelmed I think-

Voc Rehab-I know what you mean here.

My husband went to Corning College on Voc Rehab (he was 30% SC PTSD at the time)

A Gulf War vet was his VA co ordinator at Corning and she was just great.Also the college honored his accomodation requests - he needed two of them.

It can be a 2 edged sword. He worked PT for the Bath VAMC at that time.

The union pres came over to him on th job and said the VA doesnt like to send more then one check out to fed employees-and that VA would try to drop his comp.

On Dec 24th (forget) of course the day before Christmas he got the proposed reduction letter and went ballistic.

I wrote the NOD, he signed it and mailed it and in 8 months they dropped the reduction idea completely.

Voc rehab can be hard work.

Still I admire you for wanting to do this.

And as Pete said-if Voc Rehab finds a vet is not appropriate for Voc Rehab due to their SC disability- they are eligible for and should be given TDIU if they are not employed.

This used to be handled in Hornell VA office and then we had to go to Rochester VA Voc Rehab-when Rod got some sort of interview for the college program he picked- are you closer to Buffalo? Then again they do change alot.

The actual Application and VA stuff for my husband went very fast but that was quite some time ago.The checks always came on time.

let me try this again... last one didn't post.

Berta, your answers are always welcome. Question form or not!

I have thought about Voc Rehab for a long time and considering my work (firefighter) and the effects my PTSD and physical problems have on me and my work I think that it is smart to look at doing something else with my life. I have 5 years til I can pension off from the fire dept. and if there is something that I can learn during that time to get me into another career AND have VA pick up the bill, I will take a chance at a reduction.

I will be honest and say that if my back IVDS/DDD appeal is approved (it should be open and shut) they could reduce my PTSD and my % won't change.

I am right in Rochester and we have some really good schools here. So long as there is something that I am interested in and capable of learning and doing I wantto give it a shot.

If I fail, well, I guess it is proof that I should be TDIU and I will have to accept that and get on with life.

My appointment is in Buffalo at the main VA building on Elmwood. I guess if there is a Voc Rehab office here in Rochester I will end up going through them?

I don't know.... I have read that some guys couldn't even take the 6 hours of testing to get into the program. I have also read stories similar to yours (although under Ch 35) where VA paid to educate someone who might not have gone to college... let alone get a masters!

I will update everyone for sure about the testing after I take it.

:rolleyes: