VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Or New Claim

Rate this question

da_old_ chief

Question

Currently 50% ptsd 10% hearing, 10% lower back, 10% neck = 60% all service connected

My question is that in the last 16 months that it took to in my claim my lower back has gotten worse (should be 20% by now but will have to get doc to say so) and they found that I have problems with my middle back also (Required a epidural.) So should I file a nod or a new claim ? I have about 8 months left to file a nod.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It sounds like you need to file for the new middle back problem, and an increase in compensation for the lower back problem. Get the medical evidence in your hand as soon as possible.

Currently 50% ptsd 10% hearing, 10% lower back, 10% neck = 60% all service connected

My question is that in the last 16 months that it took to in my claim my lower back has gotten worse (should be 20% by now but will have to get doc to say so) and they found that I have problems with my middle back also (Required a epidural.) So should I file a nod or a new claim ? I have about 8 months left to file a nod.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to file for an increase for the Back. It does not mattter if it is lumbar or thoracic. They are treated as the same segement of the body.

If you are having to get epidural injections, you should heed this advice. A rating of 60 percent based on incapicitating episodes which literally means documented bed rest. If your back is rated for IVDS than this is the case, If it is rated as Arthrirtis then it goes by Range of motion.

The effected nerves are to be rated separately under both the IVDS and Arthritis.

J

da_old_chief,

Since you have eight months left I would file a NOD for increase

and send in the most current Medical Evidence that would

support the higher rating.

carlie

You need to file for an increase for the Back. It does not mattter if it is lumbar or thoracic. They are treated as the same segement of the body.

If you are having to get epidural injections, you should heed this advice. A rating of 60 percent based on incapicitating episodes which literally means documented bed rest. If your back is rated for IVDS than this is the case, If it is rated as Arthrirtis then it goes by Range of motion.

The effected nerves are to be rated separately under both the IVDS and Arthritis.

J

:angry: Sorry on the last reply my bad.

The V.A. letter did not give codes for my disability ratings so I have requested them, no reply yet ecept we are working on it letter. I do have degenerative disc diease (old civilian diagnoses ) As for incapicitating episodes which literally means documented bed rest no doctor now does that.

seems the V.A. is 40 years out of date but it does keep the %'s low ;)

What is IVDS?

• HadIt.com Elder

It is rated as Invertrable disk syndrome. A condition that involves degenerative disk disease and causes a neurological defect or pain in a spacific nerve or groups of nerves.

for example, the cervical spine , arm, shoulder, are effected by the areas of c4 to c6 and can effect the median and ulnar nerve causing numbness and tingling in the elbow, wrist, fingers.

The lumbar spine it is usually the Sciatic nerve causing a sudden loss of control of a leg or pain down the leg depending on the level of the damage.

You can look any of rentalguy1's post and see his spine repository which has a very detailed explanation of the issues mentioned here.

J