VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant School Benefits In Place Of Child Support

Rate this question

Foodgod1

Question

My daughter recently graduated high school and was moving out of her mothers house. Her mom and I are divorced and I have been paying child support and am current. Since I am 100 percent, my daughter is eligible for free tuition in our state and the VA benefit of over 900 dollars per month as a stipend to live off of. My attorney presented this to the judge and figured that the free tuition plus the stipend came to over 2000 dollars per month that my daughter was receiving in cash and benefits. That versus the 400 bucks per month that my ex wife was getting and not sharing with my daughter. The judge thought it was very well presented and as long as my daughter was in school, then the VA benefits would be used in place of the child support. I believe that we have set a legal standard here and it should be sited in other cases where the child is in school but the non custodial parent is still paying child support to the custodial parent.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Uh.....wow. There would be hell to pay if my ex-husband tried that. Sorry. School money is for school, support money is for support.

Purple

My ex wife kept the child support money after my daughter moved out. I went to court and the judge alloweed me to pay my child support diretly to my daughter.

The only person who lost out was my ex and she is still bitter about missing part of my miltary retainer pay by 8 days.

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

There was no legal standard set there, it worked for the OP and the judge bought it, besides the child graduated so I suspect the kid was coming upon age 18 very soon so the support would end anyhooo.

My x also kept the support when the last moved out upon age 18 to the day, boy was the X pissed to find her check no longer in the mail.......it also went into my daughters hand until the last day of HS, then Chptr 35 kicked in and they lived happily ever after.

There was no legal standard set there, it worked for the OP and the judge bought it, besides the child graduated so I suspect the kid was coming upon age 18 very soon so the support would end anyhooo.

My x also kept the support when the last moved out upon age 18 to the day, boy was the X pissed to find her check no longer in the mail.......it also went into my daughters hand until the last day of HS, then Chptr 35 kicked in and they lived happily ever after.

R

Some states like NY make you pay child support till the child is 21 years old. Others like NJ make you pay intill the child is on there own and finshed colleage god help you if they goon the 8 year plan for a 2 year degree

jim

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I am paying almost $900.00 a month to a woman who makes over 6 figures and more than double what I make. When my child is 18 and in college I plan to help her out. Incidently, her mother just bought a new car, and her payment is the exact amount of the child support. As long as she is taken care of that is what matters. My child has a good mother, and we are in lock step when it comes to her education, and care, and discipline. Is the financial part fair, no. If life was fair Elvis would be alive, and the impersonators would be dead.

• HadIt.com Elder

MikeR:

I am glad that the welfare of your child is more important than worrying about if X is getting better treatment than you. Many kids know if they are being supported by the non custodial parent and I think it is important to them to feel that they count for something