VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I File For P & T

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hi all,

It's been a while since I corresponded here, but I have a question. I have had 3 seizures in the past 2 to 4 weeks, and I was actually hospitalized for a few days after my second seizure. The doctors believed that one of my (depression meds) was the cause. They took me off of it and started me on an anti-seizure medication. I have been TDIU effective June 2007 and I wanted to know if I should file for total and permanent. I can't drive and there are a few other things that I need help with. I have headaches, dizziness and nausea most of the time. I am still waiting on a Social Security Disability ALJ hearing. What should I do?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do your docs think this will be total and permanent? That would be the question to ask them. If the medication was the cause of the seizures then the answer will most likely be no....and once your medication has been changed....your seizures stopped; your condition will improve....see where I'm going with this?

Not being mean....just looking at it how the VA might.

Hope that you are feeling better.

Hi There,

Well, My doctors said it basically depoends on how I tolerate the medication that they had put me on.

Now I have aother problems: I am 50% MDD an 30% IBS and 100% IU, I want to be able to apply for total and permanent but I'm not sure what evidence I need at this point. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Cherie33

I have been IU since June 2007 (effective date). What kind of evidence do I need to be awarded P & T? I have Major Depressive Disorder (50%) I have IBS (30%) = 70% + IU

I have also been having seizures, which most doctors think it was a result of one of the depression medication that I have been on for 3 years.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

"The doctors believed that one of my (depression meds) was the cause."

Cherie,

could you share with us what antidepressent it was that caused your seisures?

Cherie

There are 2 issues:

1. Does your doc say you are P&T? If he says no, then it would require another medical opinion to trump it.

2. If your doc says Yes, you are P&T, then you get to go on the hampster wheel while VA denies it, then you appeal it..probably several times. Bottom line: Are you persistent enough to get what is due you? Many Veterans are not and give up..that is what they are hoping you will do..that is why they make this so frustrating.

• HadIt.com Elder

First ask the VARO to change it to TDIU. You probably will need something from Doc to support not being abler to work. If you get SSD cite and ask for TDIU. In all likelihood this will generate another C&P.