VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I File For P & T

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hi all,

It's been a while since I corresponded here, but I have a question. I have had 3 seizures in the past 2 to 4 weeks, and I was actually hospitalized for a few days after my second seizure. The doctors believed that one of my (depression meds) was the cause. They took me off of it and started me on an anti-seizure medication. I have been TDIU effective June 2007 and I wanted to know if I should file for total and permanent. I can't drive and there are a few other things that I need help with. I have headaches, dizziness and nausea most of the time. I am still waiting on a Social Security Disability ALJ hearing. What should I do?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally, I would go to my VA psychologist/psychiatrist and simply ask them to write you a letter and enter it into your medical records, or just give it to you. Tell them that you are getting more and more depressed thinking about not being able to work and worrying about making ends meet and that you would worry a LOT less if you knew that the VA officially considered you Permanently disabled. Tell 'em all it takes is a sentence, written out, so stating, and then a lot of your troubles will lessen. Tell them that you know it isn't a "cure", but it would sure help the INCREASING depression that you are feeling.

They'll generally be happy to do this for you.

I know, for that is what I did, and, before the day was out, I not only had the letters from my PA and my M.D. psychiatrist, but my psychiatrist even CALLED the RO and spoke with the DRO (told him that, really, really, the raters should stop practicing medicine, if they didn't mind....). Two weeks later, I was TDIU, 100%, and P&T, complete with the little brochures explaining the Chap 35 stuff, etc.

Ya wanna know something funny?

I was more elated when I got my first 20%, more excited and all hopped up about it, than when I got the letter about my TDIU, P&T, 100%.........

When I got my 100% it was kinda a real weird feeling...........not one of accomplishment, but a feeling of just plain EXHAUSTION....a "let-down"...heck I sat around for a week, mentally pinching myself to see if I was "real". Anbody else have that sort of deal?

Edited by LarryJ

Cherie,

Yes, you are clear that you are seeking to get P&T status granted.

People are trying to help you find your way to get there.

Since your seizures are more likely than not a temporary condition due

to medication I do not feel that will be much help in getting P&T granted.

As posted in the other thread - since you just reached compensation

paid at 100 % due to being TDIU recently, then you will most likely need a doctors

statement saying your service connected disabilities are static in nature and they feel

your disabilities will not get any better.

OR - SSA granted Fully Favorable due solely to your service connected disabilities

would be helpful.

carlie

Wow!

Ok, poolguy says write to the VA and ask for clarification of my Total and Permanent, and Clown Man says gather the required evidence. What evidence is that?

Also, I have been disabled since 1994 and each time I filed for an increase, I won. So, now I am 70% + IU and in the Independent Living Program whom have said that I will never be able to work again. My psych doctor also says the same thing.

I just need to know if I am clasified as P&T, so I can be eligible for my states additional benefits for Vets that are P&T.

Thanks all,

Cherie33

Cherie,

A statement that is written or in your records from ILP that they feel you will never be able to be

employable again would be some good evidence to put with a request for P&T.

It would still be good having something from a doc stating they feel your disabilities are static and not due to improve.

Have you given poolguy's suggestion any more thought - it sure sounded worth a try to me.

carlie