VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Va Comp And Pension Benefits Worth The Hassel?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Winning VA benefits is a HUGE hassel. The VA claims a 6 month processing time, but that number is highly influenced with "fake dates", and it assumes there will be no appeals, another false assumption.

I personally have been trying to get my full VA benefits for 7 years. A little more than 5 years ago I won a BVA appeal award of "a complete grant of benefit sought". That did not end it. The VA decided that "complete" meant 0%. A zero percent "award" nets the Veteran the exact same monetary benefits as a denial.

Did I appeal? Sure. The VA decided that my NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits" and awarded me a much lesser benefit.

It has been 7 years of red tape run around and shredded documents..and I am guessing it will be 3 more years..maybe more, since I am no ways near the end. All this when 2 doctors and one audiologist have ALL stated the "Veterans conditions are most likely due to military service".

I am wondering if VA benefits are worth the ten or so years it takes to get them, then you turn around and have to spend the rest of your life worrying about them getting taken away. I dont have a choice, but I just dont think Veterans should be expected to serve 4 years in the service then 10 years trying to get their benefits. What do you think?

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Winning VA benefits is a HUGE hassel. The VA claims a 6 month processing time, but that number is highly influenced with "fake dates", and it assumes there will be no appeals, another false assumption.

I personally have been trying to get my full VA benefits for 7 years. A little more than 5 years ago I won a BVA appeal award of "a complete grant of benefit sought". That did not end it. The VA decided that "complete" meant 0%. A zero percent "award" nets the Veteran the exact same monetary benefits as a denial.

Did I appeal? Sure. The VA decided that my NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits" and awarded me a much lesser benefit.

It has been 7 years of red tape run around and shredded documents..and I am guessing it will be 3 more years..maybe more, since I am no ways near the end. All this when 2 doctors and one audiologist have ALL stated the "Veterans conditions are most likely due to military service".

I am wondering if VA benefits are worth the ten or so years it takes to get them, then you turn around and have to spend the rest of your life worrying about them getting taken away. I dont have a choice, but I just dont think Veterans should be expected to serve 4 years in the service then 10 years trying to get their benefits. What do you think?

Bronco,

that is absolutely brutal. How on earth can they grant your claim on appeal, then put you through this? That is very troubling...I hope it gets better for you :-)

• HadIt.com Elder

The question of whether it's "worth the hassel" is a moot point for some of us.

It's either than or hobo it to warmer weather and pick out a nice bridge to help keep the rain off.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like you broncovet, we don't have a choice.

If our illnesses/injuries are caused by service in the military, we have no choice but to jump through the VA hoops. I first filed in 1975 for depression & they haven't processed that claim yet. I'm in my 11th year on appeal at the BVA. When & if I get a final denial from the BVA, i'll be allowed a day in court with an attorney.

This will likely take the rest of my life to resolve.

• HadIt.com Elder

Funny that you should ask this. My answer it was worth the hassle as it gave me a life with some dignity ad say so over what I do. I have some security in knowing I will have a coule of checks around the 1st of each month that I can count on.

Its not bad when you compare it to retirement plans many others have.

Yes it is worth the hassle. I am fortunate to have my wife help me through the paper work. And of course hadit has been very helpful also. But in the long run it is worth it. The only part I detest is the travel and wondering about the status of a claim is. I get anxious about that and sometimes fell I have been forgoten or they lost something. Don't give up or give in.