VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Va Comp And Pension Benefits Worth The Hassel?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Winning VA benefits is a HUGE hassel. The VA claims a 6 month processing time, but that number is highly influenced with "fake dates", and it assumes there will be no appeals, another false assumption.

I personally have been trying to get my full VA benefits for 7 years. A little more than 5 years ago I won a BVA appeal award of "a complete grant of benefit sought". That did not end it. The VA decided that "complete" meant 0%. A zero percent "award" nets the Veteran the exact same monetary benefits as a denial.

Did I appeal? Sure. The VA decided that my NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits" and awarded me a much lesser benefit.

It has been 7 years of red tape run around and shredded documents..and I am guessing it will be 3 more years..maybe more, since I am no ways near the end. All this when 2 doctors and one audiologist have ALL stated the "Veterans conditions are most likely due to military service".

I am wondering if VA benefits are worth the ten or so years it takes to get them, then you turn around and have to spend the rest of your life worrying about them getting taken away. I dont have a choice, but I just dont think Veterans should be expected to serve 4 years in the service then 10 years trying to get their benefits. What do you think?

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete

Yes, I agree with you. My kids cant go to college..Chapter 35 wont kick in until/unless the VA decides to 100% P and T me. I am pretty sure they will eventually do this..Social Security has done so, VA life insurance has done so, my docs have already stated this, and even the BVA has awarded me a complete grant of benefit sought. IN spite of this overwhelming evidence, the VARO continues to throw me curve after curve and do every thing to delay/deny my benefits..that is a given.

However, my son, who was 19 when I applied, is now 26 and over the age for Ch. 35 benefits. They jerked me around for 7 years until my son was too old.

I hate it worse when my kids are penalized for Va mistakes. Isnt that the way it always is?

I am much angrier about them cheating me out of Kids benefits than them cheating me. When you do something (good or bad) to my kids, you did it to me, only ten times more.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco:

If they award P&T your 27 year old can get full benefits its just a matter of applying being turned down my oldest son got his when he was 33 cause it was based on my notice date and so have many others.

Not all fights are fair...but then again, neither is life...YES! In my estimation of things, and as others have all pointed out, it is worth the hassle.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. Whut Pete just said.

My 26 year old just got his "Statement of Eligibility" for Chap. 35 Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA). He'd good to go for 45 months.

They gave him a choice as to when his benefit could start. It could start in 2007, my eed date, or it could start when he got his Statemment of Eligibility which was about a month ago, or anytime in between those two dates.

Seeing as how he just has a year to go before he completes his masters degree, I told him to choose the date in 2007.......and they'll pay him retro up to date then start his monthly payments. If he told them to not start his benefit until the date he got his eligibility letter, then he'd just receive from that date up until he finished his degree in a year. Quite a bit of difference, si' ?

Now, if he decides to go ahead and get his doctorate, then his benefit will run it's course at the end of 45 months from the date in 2007, regardless of whether he is finished with his doctorate.

Ok, so if I get what you guys are saying, then I should have my son go ahead and apply for Chapter

35, even tho he is not eligible because I have not yet been rated at 100% P and T? Then, when

I do get rated, he will be able to get retro, or have many more months of eligibility..is that what your are saying?

Now, I am 40%..and probably, realistically, at least two more years from getting it straightened out..sure the DRO could rule in my favor, but I am expecting the BVA after that, which is at least 2 years down the road, and probably more like 3 or 4 years.

PS

Part of the reason I started this post: You see, WE know what a hassel it is to try to win VA bennies. New guys, or the general public does not know this. We need to tell them.

I think this column may be searchable under a google search something like, "Are VA benefits worth the hassel?"

Then, this column may appear. And maybe the searcher is highly influential..oh say, maybe the son of a Senator or something. So he asks his Dad why VA benefits are such a hassel? The DAd says, "Gee they arent a hassel, son, why would you think that?"

Ok, Dad..do a google search on "The hassel of applying for VA benefits"..and boom, this column comes up. Maybe, just maybe Dad would get mad enough after reading some of this stuff and do something about it. I figure the more people who know how the VA puts Veterans through a ten year hassel to get benefits, the more likely they are going to be pressured to stop it. JMHO..Anyone agree?