VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Granted

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

How long does it take to begin receiving compensation once claim has been decided?

Also, will VARO pay out on a partial grant of benefits or do they wait for entire claim to be decided before they release check(s)...expecting retro?

Thanks for your responses. Did search but could not find a specific answer to my

question(s).

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I had two vba appeals granted and one remanded on Jan 21 2009. I haven't heard a word yet other than the granted order from the bva. I have not received any back pay as of today mar. 8, 2009. Does the bva take longer than a regular claim to be progmented and payed out? My appeals have been going on since 5 years ago so I am checking my bank account every day.

BVA doesn't pay you. They send the same notice that you got (court transcript usually) to the RO with your file. The RO then establishes a grant. If BVA did not specify a % for your grant then the RO will decide. The vast majority of BVA grants that I have seen are just general grants.

example:

ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for a lumbar spine

disability is granted.

Entitlement to service connection for a visual disability is

denied.

Entitlement to service connection for headaches is granted.

That is an actual BVA grant decision. It does not say that 0%, 30%, 60%, or 100% is granted. I have seen some percentages come out of BVA, but very few. The RO has to receive the file back (could take upwards of 2 weeks as they come in groups), they have review the decisions, establish the grants /remands/denials/dismissals, and then they begin processing. It is a process even when done correctly. Once they do make your decision, it goes through the regular channels of VSO, and then promulgation.

NOTE: BVA does do ratings themselves, as does AMC. I believe that AMC promulgates both.

Flipside: You have remands. Who is working those? Were they remanded to the RO via AMC? Were they just remanded (AMC might work the remand). Lastly, they may wait until the remand is resolved.

Meddac,

(This is a little bit off topic)

I get the impression you are a VA employee from your reply below.

"We are converting to a newer system now... It is much faster and more up to date. VETSNET allows awards to be processed much quicker than they used to be. There are certain awards that are still on the old system, though (BDN). It is slower...seemingly much slower."

Just curious. Is VA upgrading their system for major enhancements particularly in VA claims & others? When I call the 1-800(out of state call center for Oakland VARO), they can only access generalized status of my claim, very lazy attitude, and not motivated at all!!!

So, I do periodic visit to VARO office for a one-on-one w/ VSR. I do noticed he/she has to go to another computer for indepth tracking of my claim status. Does not make sense & very wasteful in taxpayer's $$$.

Another question..

Staff that respond to IRIS, are they back end/back office VSRs?

Check you account. With the new system, your check is in the bank sometimes before you get your rating decision. You will get in within 10 - 15 days regardless.

Received decision granting partial benefits on Feb 13, 2009. It is now 15 "business" days since that came in the mail. In my estimation...going back through all of the years compensation rates...my retro should be over 30K. Nothing in the mail and nothing in my account, yet.

That's why I'm asking if they are waiting to pay out because other half of appeal has not been rated.

"You will get in within 10 - 15 days regardless."

Really?

DITTO...LarryJ...this is my sentiment exactly...REALLY?

Thanks to everyone else who responded, it is greatly appreciated. So, I guess my option is to just sit back and wait for the process to be completed.

Meddac...I was contacted by my NSO via letter two weeks after I received the decision from the RO. So, they are not on the ball, anyway. I have talked to my NSO over the phone a total of six times in almost five years. So, phone communication is never my expectation.

Your explanation of the system helps a lot to know how VARO operates and as others have suggested...there are a lot of variables...I was just hoping to be in that percentage who receives a check sooner rather than later.

And, lastly, it is for COMPENSATION and not pension.

Edited by luvHIM

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had 2 claims granted in the past 7 years both times the money was in my account before I got the award letter, I have a BVA pending I had the hearing on Feb 4 2009 so I am just waiting to hear anything, I was expecting a video hearing and I was surprised when I got there that day and it was a actual Judge, my lawyer did most of the talking the Judge asked me if I was satisifed with my day in court, and I told him I was, my lawyer filed the appeal to BVA in August 2008 so to get a hearing less than 6 months later seemed super speed to me. I have heard of vets waiting up to 2 years to get their BVA hearing, most of the Edgewood veterans have had to wait years for appeal hearings.

It seems like none of the RO like the Edgewood claims, from Calif to New York most of the vets I am in contact with have had to go thru BVA to get their claims granted.

Once a claim is granted at BVA it is usually sent back to the RO for adjucation. The time starts once you receive the letter from the RO, not BVA.