VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Granted

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

How long does it take to begin receiving compensation once claim has been decided?

Also, will VARO pay out on a partial grant of benefits or do they wait for entire claim to be decided before they release check(s)...expecting retro?

Thanks for your responses. Did search but could not find a specific answer to my

question(s).

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Meddac,

I get the impression you are a VA employee from your reply below.

"We are converting to a newer system now... It is much faster and more up to date. VETSNET allows awards to be processed much quicker than they used to be. There are certain awards that are still on the old system, though (BDN). It is slower...seemingly much slower."

Just curious. Is VA upgrading their system for major enhancements particularly in VA claims & others? When I call the 1-800(out of state call center for Oakland VARO), they can only access generalized status of my claim, very lazy attitude, and not motivated at all!!!

So, I do periodic visit to VARO office for a one-on-one w/ VSR. I do noticed he/she has to go to another computer for indepth tracking of my claim status. Does not make sense & very wasteful in taxpayer's $$$.

Another question..

Staff that respond to IRIS, are they back end/back office VSRs?

Yes, I do work for VBA. We are upgrading, and have been upgrading since April 2008. It is a MAJOR enhancement over the old system (which is from the 1980's - MS-DOS / BASIC years).

The phone operators really are at the mercy of what the people at the RO input into the systems. The phone people can only see a few systems, and therefore really can only give a generalized outlook on your claim. They could give you more detail, but that is totally reliant on RO employees updating (which is getting cracked down on very hard).

I don't have a clue why a VSR at the RO wold have to go to another computer to get a detailed update on your status. I could actually sit at my desk at my RO and give you an update on your claim!! Granted, it might not be as detailed as you would like, but I have the same systems that your RO uses.

IRIS... We do not have back end/office VSR's. Honestly, I have no clue who responds to IRIS. I just haven't ever pondered finding out. I can, though. I am sure that others on here may have a guess, or they may know for sure.

• HadIt.com Elder

Meddac:

We appreciate your helping Veterans on this Board.

Yes, I do work for VBA. We are upgrading, and have been upgrading since April 2008. It is a MAJOR enhancement over the old system (which is from the 1980's - MS-DOS / BASIC years).

The phone operators really are at the mercy of what the people at the RO input into the systems. The phone people can only see a few systems, and therefore really can only give a generalized outlook on your claim. They could give you more detail, but that is totally reliant on RO employees updating (which is getting cracked down on very hard).

I don't have a clue why a VSR at the RO wold have to go to another computer to get a detailed update on your status. I could actually sit at my desk at my RO and give you an update on your claim!! Granted, it might not be as detailed as you would like, but I have the same systems that your RO uses.

IRIS... We do not have back end/office VSR's. Honestly, I have no clue who responds to IRIS. I just haven't ever pondered finding out. I can, though. I am sure that others on here may have a guess, or they may know for sure.

Les

The BVA approval award does not mean NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING. The RO "interprets" the BVA decision in a manner consistent with their own agenda. My example should suffice

BVA "awards complete grant of benefit sought". Since I had sought TDIU, that should mean 100%, right? No.

The RO "interpreted" that to mean hearing loss only which they decided was rated at zero percent.

Thats right.."complete" = 0% to the RO.

I have only been fighting this for 5 years now..and I am no closer to winning my claim then when I first applied in 2002.

So, dont count on anything the BVA does..the RO can twist that around to mean you dont get squat.

A BVA decision awarding benefits does NOT mean the RO will award benefits..it means they might award some benefits.

Just FYI...my claim was awarded by the RO and rated at highest for my particular sc condition. It was on appeal but DRO pulled it and reviewed and made a decision on it before it even made it to BVA. So, not sure how thread got off on a different tangent.

My other issues were for a different claim and I filed an NOD last year. However, claim was denied based on the fact that primary condition was not sc yet. That condition is now sc and the claim that is still being adjudicated is seeking sc as secondary to the primary condition. That is why I was awarded a partial grant of benefits.

In short, nothing is at the BVA or ever has been. It is all being handle, still, at the RO level.

Hi Luvhim, I had no intention of hijacking your thread or question. I thought your question was fully explaned (sorry). Anyway back to Broncovets reply my bva order dated Jan. 21 2009 says Order: Service conection for tinnitus is granted. An initial compensable rating for residuals, fracture, left clavical is denided. An increased rating of 20% for residuals, fractured, left clavicle is granted from May 7, 2007, subject to the law and regulations regarding the payment of monetary benefits. They also remanded hearing loss to the Amc. Now I wonder if the amc will wait untill the remand is worked and ajudicated untill i get my backpay? Also I called the Amc and was told the tinnitus is reacurring witch is the magic word to get rated so I been told. Thanks ! LES

Luvhim..

I apologize..I reread this post, and YOU did not say anything about the BVA..it was others who mentioned it, so my previous post does not apply to you if you have never gone to the BVA.

Les

One of the accountability problems with the VA is that the VARO gets free reign to interpret regulations, including BVA decisions, as they see fit. IF your VARO chooses to do so, then they are free to put you on a Ten year or longer "Hamster wheel" where the RO fails to grant the BVA awards, you appeal at the BVA, the VA grants your benefits, the RO fails again, etc.

There is nothing stopping the RO from "deciding" or "interpreting" your favorable BVA decision as a denial of everything, depending upon the mood of the Rating service officer, and the mood of your RO.

How do I know? I received a "complete grant of benefit sought" award from the BVA. The RO "decided" that meant ONLY hearing loss, even tho I can show that I had "sought" multiple benefits, and the VARO ignored my other claims. Even worse, the RO "decided" to "interpret" my NOD as a benefit claim, so they completely blew off my chances at appeal. How do you appeal an "interpretation"?..you dont..it isnt a decision.