VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Due Child Support/garnishment ?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

Here's a question for you all...the wife of a vet (the wife is my friend), I don't know the spouse. However, she shared that spouse has been married before and now has grown children. But when he stopped working due to disability could not pay child support. His claim was recently granted and they are expecting a decent back payment check.

However, her husband is now concerned that the child support division will take his back pay and future payments to pay back child support (support in arrears) because the actual child support case is now closed due to the children being adults now. Can anyone help with this question because I don't have a clue. What can be legally taken from veteran compensation and any back pay due him?

I have searched and found some information but it is confusing because it talks about aportionment and mainly vets who have retired. I searched BVA cases even. Many of them were cases filed by the ex-wife and denied. But they were not cases that dealt with garnishments of a veterans disability compensation benefits.

Can anyone in haditville help with this matter. Thanks.

Edited by luvHIM

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have seen many men, especially in leftist states, get completely creamed in the area of child support by having to pay exorbitant child support to women who use the money for less than altruistic purposes. If that is a problem and you can't wrap your double-digit IQ around the concept of free speech, then I suppose you will just have to get over it :-)

boy aint that the truth, I even tried to get custody of my child because of an unfit mother and the state still would not give me my daughter. Her mother has had 2 DUI's, 4 ER visits found her passed out in the parking lot of the club drunk, her last DUI was 5 months ago and a week before that she was so drunk she called 911 for a ride home cause she was so drunk and they showed up and gie her a ride alright they baker acted her and took her hide end right off to jail. I have never had any trouble with the law and love my daughter very much but even after all that and we get to court and thousands of $$ they find her to be the perfect mom..So I gave up..but to this day I still feel my support went to enable her mothers good times while I was working my ass off just to make this $600 a month...and I hate it

• HadIt.com Elder

The part that I always loved about sending child-support to my X was when she would send my a postcard from Cancun or Disney World or Las Vegas, usually on the 3rd or 4th of the month (she got "paid" on the 1st).

Did I ever tell ya how much I grew to hate that woman?

She had a car wreck once and both my kids wound up in the hospital. Now here is the funny part. I was PAYING her car insurance (hell, I bought her the car, AFTER I deevorced her, so's she would be able to get the kids to where they needed to be, for school and such......the car she had before I bought her one, was repo-ed) AND paying for medical insurance for the kids (they were on my insurance that I had through my work). So, the kids, due to the car accident, are in the hospital, okay? And she tells the hospital that she doesn't have insurance on the kids, so the hospital asks about whether she's getting any "child support" from the kids' father (me) and she tells them NO (I'd been sending her a cashier's check every month, so's I'd have "proof" of my payments. Anyway, the hospital contacts the Child Welfare department, the Child Welfare department contacts the DA's office, the Sheriff shows up at my front door with an arrest warrant for me failing to pay my child support.

Did I ever tell ya how much I grew to hate that woman?

So this whole post was started because at one time, a father did not provide financial support for his kids and he thinks the reward for doing so should be to be forgiven and not owe anything? It is not a liberal or leftist judges fault that a parent does not support their kids. I dont care who writes what about the woman spends money on this or that, it costs money tp raise kids, and it should be shared..... this country is going to hell in a handbasket, people need to learn responsibility, and the kids learn this from parents who do the right thing. I second rental guy, get the head out of your 4th point of contact, dont make babies you cant afford, either with money, or with the sense god didnt give some of the people walking around.

It is hard being a dad, harder than PTSD, harder than combat, but I challange it everyday and I am gonna win, anyone care to join me?

being a father takes more than telling them you love em, sometimes the money is mis spent, some times there are bad moms (and dads) but does that make not supporting the kids the right thing to do?

hmmm,

excuses are like well, everyone does have one of those too.....

• HadIt.com Elder

SFC, you and I are in total agreement vis a vis our responsibility as Fathers. When my youngest son (I didn't get to spend much time with my oldest son) got old enough to understand I told "Boy, I'm not your "buddy", so go out and make some friends. I'm your Father. I'll be the FIRST one to whup yer ass if it needs whuppin. I'll be the FIRST one to tell ya you screwed up, if you screwed up. I'll be the LAST person that you will ever want to lie to, and, if you get your young ass thrown in jail, I'll be the LAST person you will ever want to call. Do YOU understand me? Good. Because I'll always love you."

That was about 15 years ago.........about 3 months ago he asked me if I remembered having told him that.....to which I replied that I did, because my Father told me the VERY SAME thing when I was about 14. He said, "Good, Dad, because I always will remember it, and if I am lucky enough to have a Son...well, Dad, you know the rest."

We need to be Fathers, not sperm donors. I remember my Father and his Father, both career Marines....back when ships were wood and men were iron and a man's worth was measured in the full light of day. I hope I've measured up, I think I have.

So this whole post was started because at one time, a father did not provide financial support for his kids and he thinks the reward for doing so should be to be forgiven and not owe anything? It is not a liberal or leftist judges fault that a parent does not support their kids. I dont care who writes what about the woman spends money on this or that, it costs money tp raise kids, and it should be shared..... this country is going to hell in a handbasket, people need to learn responsibility, and the kids learn this from parents who do the right thing. I second rental guy, get the head out of your 4th point of contact, dont make babies you cant afford, either with money, or with the sense god didnt give some of the people walking around.

It is hard being a dad, harder than PTSD, harder than combat, but I challange it everyday and I am gonna win, anyone care to join me?

being a father takes more than telling them you love em, sometimes the money is mis spent, some times there are bad moms (and dads) but does that make not supporting the kids the right thing to do?

hmmm,

excuses are like well, everyone does have one of those too.....

No, it is the liberal mindset that constantly makes it a given that the bold single mother is being shortchanged by the dad, and oh by the way, the mother should naturally be given custody over the wishes of the father. This country is indeed going to hell by embracing the false theology of liberalism, statism, and any other ism that involves class warfare and trying to pit the sexes against one another--and of course the daddy will pay until it hurts.

By the way, I am glad to hear that you are a good father, that means a lot in my opinion.

SFC, you and I are in total agreement vis a vis our responsibility as Fathers. When my youngest son (I didn't get to spend much time with my oldest son) got old enough to understand I told "Boy, I'm not your "buddy", so go out and make some friends. I'm your Father. I'll be the FIRST one to whup yer ass if it needs whuppin. I'll be the FIRST one to tell ya you screwed up, if you screwed up. I'll be the LAST person that you will ever want to lie to, and, if you get your young ass thrown in jail, I'll be the LAST person you will ever want to call. Do YOU understand me? Good. Because I'll always love you."

That was about 15 years ago.........about 3 months ago he asked me if I remembered having told him that.....to which I replied that I did, because my Father told me the VERY SAME thing when I was about 14. He said, "Good, Dad, because I always will remember it, and if I am lucky enough to have a Son...well, Dad, you know the rest."

We need to be Fathers, not sperm donors. I remember my Father and his Father, both career Marines....back when ships were wood and men were iron and a man's worth was measured in the full light of day. I hope I've measured up, I think I have.

You sir, are a good man, and I admire you for it. The ex will reap exactly what she has sewn in this life.