VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Due Child Support/garnishment ?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

Here's a question for you all...the wife of a vet (the wife is my friend), I don't know the spouse. However, she shared that spouse has been married before and now has grown children. But when he stopped working due to disability could not pay child support. His claim was recently granted and they are expecting a decent back payment check.

However, her husband is now concerned that the child support division will take his back pay and future payments to pay back child support (support in arrears) because the actual child support case is now closed due to the children being adults now. Can anyone help with this question because I don't have a clue. What can be legally taken from veteran compensation and any back pay due him?

I have searched and found some information but it is confusing because it talks about aportionment and mainly vets who have retired. I searched BVA cases even. Many of them were cases filed by the ex-wife and denied. But they were not cases that dealt with garnishments of a veterans disability compensation benefits.

Can anyone in haditville help with this matter. Thanks.

Edited by luvHIM

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

No this is not true if it is garnished it will go to the children, I my self am going through this very same thing right now.. They will contact the children as they have done with my son and send any back pay to the child or adult. Yog

Wrong. My back support is going to the mother. My daughter is in college (21) and has had to get money from me to help her. Her mother isn't helping her with the money I give her.

The state of FL tried to take my VA comp check and had to let the hold go because the could not hold it by fed/laws but buddy they tried like heck to take it. Now if you getting SSD back pay same does not apply (only the back-pay) they will give it to the child or parent if child is under 18 but if the child is now an adult they will contact the child and set up to give them the accrued back payments...but this is only out of the back-pay ONLY not the monthly benefits them selves. Now if your back-pay is for SSI it can not be touched at all period..This is what I have experienced as of lately..

wrong again. My SSD backpay was not garnished. My SSD monthly benifit is.

Again, this is a state issue and each state handles it somewhat different.

So this whole post was started because at one time, a father did not provide financial support for his kids and he thinks the reward for doing so should be to be forgiven and not owe anything? It is not a liberal or leftist judges fault that a parent does not support their kids. I dont care who writes what about the woman spends money on this or that, it costs money tp raise kids, and it should be shared..... this country is going to hell in a handbasket, people need to learn responsibility, and the kids learn this from parents who do the right thing. I second rental guy, get the head out of your 4th point of contact, dont make babies you cant afford, either with money, or with the sense god didnt give some of the people walking around.

It is hard being a dad, harder than PTSD, harder than combat, but I challange it everyday and I am gonna win, anyone care to join me?

being a father takes more than telling them you love em, sometimes the money is mis spent, some times there are bad moms (and dads) but does that make not supporting the kids the right thing to do?

hmmm,

excuses are like well, everyone does have one of those too.....

Narrow points of view come from narrow minds.

Well, I can see that this was probably not the best thread to start here. I didn't realize how touchy a subject it might be. I should have put "trigger" or something.

I sincerely do not believe the guy is attempting to get out of paying anything. I truly believe his concern is that the children will not see a penny of it. I don't know how it all works (VA disability comp benefit payments...that is) but I do agree with his concern.

I am a woman and agree that some women ought not be allowed custody of their children and should definitely not be getting child support monies that generally are spent to support their addictive behaviors (ie, gambling, drugs, alcohol, trying to keep up with the jone's...whatever it might be) while the kids suffer.

And, for those who have suggested it is about being a MAN...paying child support to the custodial parent knowing they are not going to use it for the benefit of the children has nothing to do with being male or female...but it has every thing to do with being HUMAN.

So this whole post was started because at one time, a father did not provide financial support for his kids and he thinks the reward for doing so should be to be forgiven and not owe anything? It is not a liberal or leftist judges fault that a parent does not support their kids. I dont care who writes what about the woman spends money on this or that, it costs money tp raise kids, and it should be shared..... this country is going to hell in a handbasket, people need to learn responsibility, and the kids learn this from parents who do the right thing. I second rental guy, get the head out of your 4th point of contact, dont make babies you cant afford, either with money, or with the sense god didnt give some of the people walking around.

It is hard being a dad, harder than PTSD, harder than combat, but I challange it everyday and I am gonna win, anyone care to join me?

being a father takes more than telling them you love em, sometimes the money is mis spent, some times there are bad moms (and dads) but does that make not supporting the kids the right thing to do?

hmmm,

excuses are like well, everyone does have one of those too.....

Well whomever you are went out the window with what is being said here. I at the opinion when my daughter was born it was one of the best days of my life and you talk about excuses?

1st these are mostly not dead beat dads here on hadit these are folks with real disabilities. 2nd the the 90 grand I have spent is not the measure of affection I feel for my children or child though her mother tries to convince her otherwise.

3rd. I feel if they’re willing to put me through the hell to pay it they should put her (Mother) through hell to make sure the money is spent on the child and more over I feel any back pay should be put in to a trust FOR THE CHILD.

yep your right this started out on where back pay would end up but you can always count on someone who's had it perfect to confuse money with love and dereliction of our fatherly duties with guilt of being a dead beat dad. The mother and child are not always the victim as I feel you see it "excuses" you call it, right my ass..