VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Iu And Vocrehab

Rate this question

airborne18

Question

OK.

I am in VochRehab right now and have been for about a year. In Nov I had a reevaluation done by the VA, was a yearly thing they said. The DAV handles my claims now, my wife was my NSO, but now she is retired..

I got a call from the DAV NSO and he said the VA rater looking at my file hinted to the DAV rep that I might have a few other claims that I should file. OK so I gave the approval to file for a few things.. one came back right away and I went from 40% to 60% combined. The others items are in process.

The DAV rep mentioned to me that once this was all done, and if my rating got to the right range that they would file for IU.. ( the rater made this hint as well.. ). I balked because I did not think you could get IU while on Vocrehab.. and at the least I would think that the Vochrehab people might pull the plug on my program. ( the vocrehab people in my VA are tough .. I asked if they would buy me a computer for school and they said "save your disablity checks and buy one yourself... or use the ones at school" ..

OK.. Has anyone heard of getting IU while in Vocrehab?/ and does anyone think it wise to ask for it?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, I'm on Ui and will apply for VA VocRehab training.

Although a rating of Individual Unemployability (IU) has been established the Veteran can still be eligible for Voc Rehab

If employment is obtained; the job must last 12 consecutive months before it will effect the IU rating

This is suppose to be included on the award letter when IU is granted.

Maurice,

When are you planning to apply? I would love to know how you make out with it.. The vocrehab people at my va office are tough, you would think the college money was coming out of their own bank accounts. They turned down half the people that were in my group of applicants when I had my first briefing.

I'm applying for VocRehab today. I will let you know if I get it. 1-800-told me I'm entitle to training.

I'm applying for VocRehab today. I will let you know if I get it. 1-800-told me I'm entitle to training.

Maurice,

I took the Voc.Rehab program starting in 71, ending 74 with a B/a in accountanting to go to work for fed. Figured I'd use my 10 pts. preference and 6 yrs. svc. It worked. While on Voc. Rehab.as 100% drew Social security Disability you should look into that too. You can get rehab you need it to get a career so get as long a training as you can get. A specialty program after BA for example. Don't have a high school diploma for all go get a GED then apply they'll give an apptitude test but go for the long haul, use your years of service What U.S. Gov't facilities are around where you live or within commuting distance or train for what they hire.

Pay starts low but increases on regular scale, plus cost of living yearly, 12 holidays, 2-3-4 days vacation, 4hrs. sick pay per pay period. good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are P&T then you probably won't get voc rehab approved for obvious reasons. However, if you are TDIU or 100% it makes all the sense in the world for the VA to try and rehab you and get your compensation rate down after you get a job. If I was young and could be rehabilitated then I would take a stab at it.