Hey From Montana

dadsamrdak

Hi all,

I'm going to try to make a long story fairly short. With that I hope there is someone out there that can answer some of my questions.

I went into the Navy in August of 1985...Boot in San Diego and "A" School in Orlando. My rating was a Crypto Tech and I had completed all of the Security Clearance check and all that stuff. I was 2 modules short of completing Basic Electricity and Electronics. One evening I went to a movie off Base and a guy tried to rob me when I was returning. He had a knife, I fought back and as a result my right (I'm left handed) index finger was pretty much severed. I had surgery and it was re-attached. I was put on Medical Hold but so far life was still good because my spot in "A" school was still safe.

About 2 weeks later, I started to have some pretty nasty nightmares and problems sleeping. I blew it off as stress and told no one but had started to have a couple of beers at the Mariner's Club a night to wind down. About a month into this one of the guys in my Quad decided it would be funny to jump out and scare me. I don't remember it but I had him up against the wall and had choked him until he went unconcious. It took 3 guys to pull me off of him...ummmmm and my hand was still in a cast.

This was reported to my Company Commander who brought me in and ended up referring me to the NADSAP (Navy Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Program) Officer. This was because I had been "drinking" when it happened. When I spoke with this guy I told him that I thought I had PTSD from the attempted robbery. I TOLD HIM I FELT I NEEDED TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THE ASSAULT BECAUSE I WAS NOT DEALING WITH IT!!!!!! He didn't even acknowledge it and told me I would have to take Antibuse for alcohol abuse. I refused. He threatened me with an Article 15 and I told him to go for it. I didn't get one. He wouldn't even address me being assaulted or needing to talk about it.

Anyhow, I pretty much did nothing for the 3 months it took for my hand to heal which did nothing for the stress level. The nightmares became more vivid. I did start to drink more, but stayed out of trouble. After I choked my Buddy I was afraid to be around very many people because I was afraid I was going to snap and really hurt someone. Finally I went out, got really drunk and decided the world would be better off without me and I took a bunch of Nytol. Luckily one of my friends caught me in the act and I was transported to the hospital and ended up in the Psych Ward and was surprisingly received a Honorable Discharge 6 weeks later.

It took some time but I grew up and got my mind back in the middle and had a pretty successful career in Law Enforcement for about 18 years. I finally retired from it by my own choice due to being diagnosed with PTSD.

I have filed a claim on my hand....it's giving me considerable problems. I just had my C&P exam two weeks ago and am waiting the results.

Oh one thing I failed to mention earlier. I blew my knee out in Boot Camp. However, there were some pre-existing condition there because I sprained in when I was little and I did tell them that at Sick Call. I had to have surgery on it 18 months after I was discharged.

So, my questions. Do I have a snowballs chance in hell in filing a successful claim for PTSD due to what happened to me when I was in "A" school? Any suggestions or advice there? I've also thought about filing a claim on my knee.

And finally, I was diagnosed with early onset non-typical Type 1 diabetes. My Doctor feels it is related to stress which now I know could be related to the PTSD. Are there any successful claims with the VA relating diabetes to PTSD?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm going to try to make a long story fairly short. With that I hope there is someone out there that can answer some of my questions.

I went into the Navy in August of 1985...Boot in San Diego and "A" School in Orlando. My rating was a Crypto Tech and I had completed all of the Security Clearance check and all that stuff. I was 2 modules short of completing Basic Electricity and Electronics. One evening I went to a movie off Base and a guy tried to rob me when I was returning. He had a knife, I fought back and as a result my right (I'm left handed) index finger was pretty much severed. I had surgery and it was re-attached. I was put on Medical Hold but so far life was still good because my spot in "A" school was still safe.

About 2 weeks later, I started to have some pretty nasty nightmares and problems sleeping. I blew it off as stress and told no one but had started to have a couple of beers at the Mariner's Club a night to wind down. About a month into this one of the guys in my Quad decided it would be funny to jump out and scare me. I don't remember it but I had him up against the wall and had choked him until he went unconcious. It took 3 guys to pull me off of him...ummmmm and my hand was still in a cast.

This was reported to my Company Commander who brought me in and ended up referring me to the NADSAP (Navy Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Program) Officer. This was because I had been "drinking" when it happened. When I spoke with this guy I told him that I thought I had PTSD from the attempted robbery. I TOLD HIM I FELT I NEEDED TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THE ASSAULT BECAUSE I WAS NOT DEALING WITH IT!!!!!! He didn't even acknowledge it and told me I would have to take Antibuse for alcohol abuse. I refused. He threatened me with an Article 15 and I told him to go for it. I didn't get one. He wouldn't even address me being assaulted or needing to talk about it.

Anyhow, I pretty much did nothing for the 3 months it took for my hand to heal which did nothing for the stress level. The nightmares became more vivid. I did start to drink more, but stayed out of trouble. After I choked my Buddy I was afraid to be around very many people because I was afraid I was going to snap and really hurt someone. Finally I went out, got really drunk and decided the world would be better off without me and I took a bunch of Nytol. Luckily one of my friends caught me in the act and I was transported to the hospital and ended up in the Psych Ward and was surprisingly received a Honorable Discharge 6 weeks later.

It took some time but I grew up and got my mind back in the middle and had a pretty successful career in Law Enforcement for about 18 years. I finally retired from it by my own choice due to being diagnosed with PTSD.

If you were diagnosed prior to your retirement you should have no problem with service connection. Service connection for PTSD requires medical evidence establishing a clear diagnosis of the condition, credible supporting evidence that the claimed in-service stressor actually occurred, and a link, established by medical evidence, between current symptomatology and the claimed in-service stressor

I have filed a claim on my hand....it's giving me considerable problems. I just had my C&P exam two weeks ago and am waiting the results.

Oh one thing I failed to mention earlier. I blew my knee out in Boot Camp. However, there were some pre-existing condition there because I sprained in when I was little and I did tell them that at Sick Call. I had to have surgery on it 18 months after I was discharged.

M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 2, Section B <H4 style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt">3. Determining Direct and Presumptive Service Connection</H4>

<H5 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Introduction</H5>This topic contains information on determining direct and presumptive service connection, including

• HadIt.com Elder

Dad:

Welcome to Hadit. Sharon gave you some great info and don't forget that the home page has a lot of links and info that will help you.

Good Luck