VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Mangement Is A Joke To Some At Va

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can avoid narcotic pain meds then all the better. Even if you take narcotics as prescribed you will build a tolerance and you will have to take more of the same drug or go to a more potent pain killer. The VA pain clinics are very inadequate. I am on the opiate program. I can only get that morphine, methadone or percoset. The only drug I can tolerate is percoset. There must be more alternatives than just these three or four drugs. The VA focuses on cost. If it is a good, but expensive drug with fewer side effects forget it. You will get the cheap stuff. It is take it or leave it. The VA will kill you to save a buck.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ve been on cyclobenzaprine and gabapentin for 4 years then switched to lyrica but I still have my high days. To tell you the truth nothing hurts the only the hot weather kills me.

Hey I know the feeling about the cheap stuff. I have had very little results from the morphine other than the side effects but that was helped my stool softner. Had the nerve block injection PT pretty much all you can do nothing helps nerve dammage like I have. Funny how one drug is helped or hurt by another. What I hate the most is how some Doctors get the feeling you are wanting the meds for resale or an addict. I got pissed off one day at the VA Hospital when one vet goes into the bathroom dumps his bag o meds in the trash after all he took was the nerve ills and apin medicine like 10 scripts down the trash. Hell I had just had back surgery and was told that I had to live with the pain while this jerkwad sells the stuff or just takes what he wanted. Hell I asked the guy at first if he forgot his meds he said I could have them. I took his meds to the pharmacy and there is kids that go into the rest rooms no need in somebody getting a hold of his personal infromation. I was pissed but I am belivier what comes around goes around. You sell your meds you go to jail just my thought on the subject as those people screw it up for the rest of us....

If you can avoid narcotic pain meds then all the better. Even if you take narcotics as prescribed you will build a tolerance and you will have to take more of the same drug or go to a more potent pain killer. The VA pain clinics are very inadequate. I am on the opiate program. I can only get that morphine, methadone or percoset. The only drug I can tolerate is percoset. There must be more alternatives than just these three or four drugs. The VA focuses on cost. If it is a good, but expensive drug with fewer side effects forget it. You will get the cheap stuff. It is take it or leave it. The VA will kill you to save a buck.

Hello I like a lot of other vets suffer from chornic pain. I am at the point to go live overseas in like Phillippines or some other warm place where a person can go to a Doctor and get meds. I have a Doc which I belive is a good man but it seems like all of them are afraid to treat some of us with SC pain issues. I have SC knees hips and lower back disc disease along with nueropathy in my left leg and feet. I was just wondering how many of the Vets here have ever left the US and lived over in a warm climate and if it helped them. I live in South but this winter I may become a snowbird and go down further south or overseas if things do not pick up. I hate to rant or whine but a few bad apples got to selling thier meds and now us people who I dare say would shoot someone over their meds suffer for others. Just my throw on it have a good day...

I don't blame you Oldman for wanting to live in the Philippines, however what causes arthritis to flare up is the humidity. The Philippines is popular for its humid climate.

I would do research to see what other countries have a dryer climate, that won't be so taxing on your joints.

If you are convinced about moving to this region, then consider taking a lot of anti inflammatories.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pain is no joke if its your pain. I love these young Docs who think that its easy to shake it off

• HadIt.com Elder

I get sick of almost always being accused of being a drug addict when I state that the current pain medication is not getting it. If you want or need something stronger you must be an addict according to many in the pain management business. I have heard this at the VA and from private doctors who are just scared to death of the DEA. It seems like there are just two kinds of pain doctors: the ones who will give you anything for cash money and the ones who think aspirin is too strong. They all like to do expensive procedures like nerve blocks.