VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Funding Cut (obama)

Rate this question

bbknor

Question

http://www.veteranstoday.com/article5286.html

The research committee meets again June 29-30 in Boston and Nov. 2-3 in Washington D.C. Another committee that focuses on more immediate matters such as treatment, the Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans, had its March 18-19 Waco, TX meeting canceled and may be dissolved under Obama administration budget cuts. It’s vulnerable because it was not created by an act of Congress like the research committee, said the advisory body’s chairman, Kirt Love.

Through time youngsters have answered the call of duty, but now what is the price. Do we tighten our belts as the president has asked? Lets ask the people that have answered the cal for a bail out and put them in the bush for one week, bet ya they come crawling back asking for physical help.

For me I think we have all given more than the powers that are coould ever give.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, pack the congress memmbers up with 100 lbs on their back and send them to hump the hills in Afghanistan and most would be begging for more help. Oh, and by the way I expect to hear that as the numbers of troops increase in Afghanistan (the heart of the opium trade) young men and women will be coming home with drug habits. The military will react by throwing them out on BCD's and turning their backs on them.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/article5286.html

The research committee meets again June 29-30 in Boston and Nov. 2-3 in Washington D.C. Another committee that focuses on more immediate matters such as treatment, the Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans, had its March 18-19 Waco, TX meeting canceled and may be dissolved under Obama administration budget cuts. It's vulnerable because it was not created by an act of Congress like the research committee, said the advisory body's chairman, Kirt Love.

Through time youngsters have answered the call of duty, but now what is the price. Do we tighten our belts as the president has asked? Lets ask the people that have answered the cal for a bail out and put them in the bush for one week, bet ya they come crawling back asking for physical help.

For me I think we have all given more than the powers that are coould ever give.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

Good article bb,

Even the Research Advisory Commitee is having problems getting Gulf War vets to come and speak. I think it is because they are tired of hearing "it's all in your head". Yeah, spend a day in my head.

Ya right!!! VA it is all in my head, VA induced! My head is spinning bad and I have to drive 43 miles on the PA turnpike this way. Its fun. Like riding a blackhawk into to a hot LZ.

Washington, D.C. - On Tuesday, March 10, 2009, House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs Chairman Bob Filner conducted a hearing to address the Obama Administration’s budget request for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for fiscal year 2010.

The Administration proposes a VA budget of $113 billion, a $15 billion increase from the 2009 enacted budget. The request calls for $52.5 billion in discretionary funding; an increase of $4.9 billion over 2009 funding levels, or 10.3 percent. The bulk of discretionary spending

goes to VA medical care.

“This budget marks the first time any President has submitted a budget that exceeds the recommendations of the Independent Budget, and I am pleased that these recommendations are finally getting the attention they deserve,” said Chairman Filner. “This year’s budget also marks a sharp departure from the previous Administration in that the budget includes increased funding over a five-year period – in this instance an increase of $25 billion above baseline.

Although we understand these numbers are not binding on future years, and the levels are lower than the amounts that will be needed, we applaud this move toward presenting a more honest and accurate look at our financial picture. Our veterans do not need to be reminded that last year, the Bush Administration budget plan included a net cut of $20 billion over five years, proposed raising prescription drug co-payments, and called for an enrollment fee for VA health care. I am very pleased with the direction taken by President Obama and Secretary Shinseki in their first VA budget

submitted to Congress.”

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki presented an overview of the 2010 budget for VA. He highlighted specific budget proposals necessary to transform VA into a 21st century organization and provided updates on current projects, including on-time implementation of the

Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and re-engineering the Veterans Benefits Administration into a paperless system. The Secretary discussed expanding eligibility for VA health care to non-disabled veterans earning modest incomes, while ensuring high quality access and care will

continue for veterans currently in the VA health care system.

“I applaud the Administration’s commitment to high priority areas of interest, which are shared by this Committee, including caring for our returning service members, improving the VA’s ability to provide mental heath care and services, addressing homelessness among veterans, and not forgetting the veterans of previous generations,” said Chairman Filner.

“We are committed to assisting the VA in their goal of turning the VA into a model organization. I am confident that under Secretary Shinseki’s leadership the needs of veterans will be the top priority.”

According to Secretary Shinseki, the Administration will release a detailed budget proposal in late April 2009.

"and the levels are lower than the amounts that will be needed" This is what will hurt all Vets. As far as the homeless Vets there are numerous private organizations providing services through VA referals. Vets with a modest income Cat 8., have always been afforded health care with or without a copay depending upon income. We as Vets need to insure that Washington doesn't camoflage the bad with the good.

Edited by bbknor