VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Iu And Ss Related Issue

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello I was retired from my regular Job in 2001 for Migraines vascular in nature and wasted a lot of time until the I applied for my SC connected High Blood pressure that was the root of all my current problems. 60% Hypertensive heart disease, High Blood Pressure 10%, DDD SC (Back injury)10%, Migraines 30% hearing loss 10% and a few zeros in there for some other stuff. I put in for IU after about 2 years at 80% combined. I was wondering my claim is sitting at the ratting board much like everyone elses I belive LOL. What are the chances since I was disabled for Migraine Headaches way back in 2001 3 years before I enroled with the VA since it was part of my having to leave my job do I have a shot at getting retro pay for that period of time? If they rate me out on IU I am not going to keep putting stuff out there but I am thinking that my High Blood pressure of over 20 years is doing all of this to my body my heart has increased in size according to the Ultrasound and I can hardly do much more that walking to the mail box and back I just do not have an IMO stating that in any of my recenet records or exams. I just do not throw out claims for anything I try to only aplly much like everyone else for things that affected me or an end result of my service. Any advice or thoughts please offer them up. I have been hopeful that since my other Veteran but in his claim a month before mine he got his denial letter unfortunatley in Decmeber. I guess I have more issues but all the required evidence from the SS and Last employer was in there by November. Again Adios and have a good day it sucks to worry about stuff we cannot control...

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hello I was retired from my regular Job in 2001 for Migraines vascular in nature and wasted a lot of time until the I applied for my SC connected High Blood pressure that was the root of all my current problems. 60% Hypertensive heart disease, High Blood Pressure 10%, DDD SC (Back injury)10%, Migraines 30% hearing loss 10% and a few zeros in there for some other stuff. I put in for IU after about 2 years at 80% combined. I was wondering my claim is sitting at the ratting board much like everyone elses I belive LOL. What are the chances since I was disabled for Migraine Headaches way back in 2001 3 years before I enroled with the VA since it was part of my having to leave my job do I have a shot at getting retro pay for that period of time? If they rate me out on IU I am not going to keep putting stuff out there but I am thinking that my High Blood pressure of over 20 years is doing all of this to my body my heart has increased in size according to the Ultrasound and I can hardly do much more that walking to the mail box and back I just do not have an IMO stating that in any of my recenet records or exams. I just do not throw out claims for anything I try to only aplly much like everyone else for things that affected me or an end result of my service. Any advice or thoughts please offer them up. I have been hopeful that since my other Veteran but in his claim a month before mine he got his denial letter unfortunatley in Decmeber. I guess I have more issues but all the required evidence from the SS and Last employer was in there by November. Again Adios and have a good day it sucks to worry about stuff we cannot control...

I would think that your chances are good since you were medically retired from your regular job. Do you have a doctor's statement saying that you should not work? I would definitely pursue the BP/enlargening of the heart issue. Yeah, my record is with the rating board also :lol:

It seems to me like it is taking longer for non Iraq and Afganistan claims. I believe the priority is the younger guys who are injured in the war. We'll just have to bide our time and hope we can survive financially until they make a decision on our claims. Good luck and take care of that heart! I have a very poor family history when it comes to hearts also.

• HadIt.com Elder

If a Doc retired you solely based on Migraine criteria, Then you should be able to have your current rating bumped to 50 percent.

Totally incapicitating with severe economic impact.

The VA will not award IU based on the schedule for Migraines unless it warrants an extra schedular evaluation, however, Your other SC issues takes you over the IU threshold.

The heart disease is based on the Ejection fraction or Mets. With your 60 percent, It must be 50 or below.

The VA lists disabilities in order of their severity.

I believe you will get IU but I am leary about the efffective date.

What is SS saying? when they approved you, What date did they use?

That may be your effective date if the VA does it right.

J

If a Doc retired you solely based on Migraine criteria, Then you should be able to have your current rating bumped to 50 percent.

Totally incapicitating with severe economic impact.

The VA will not award IU based on the schedule for Migraines unless it warrants an extra schedular evaluation, however, Your other SC issues takes you over the IU threshold.

The heart disease is based on the Ejection fraction or Mets. With your 60 percent, It must be 50 or below.

The VA lists disabilities in order of their severity.

I believe you will get IU but I am leary about the efffective date.

What is SS saying? when they approved you, What date did they use?

That may be your effective date if the VA does it right.

J

I thank you for the reply and here is the skinny. I was retired from Civ Job in 2001 for Migraines and PTSD. Migraines relating to SC hypertension and the PTSD was not connected to SC . I was missing days from work and had been going back to ER for migraines for treatment on a regular basis. You were right about the heart I have hypertensive heart disease secondary to SC hypertension. Ejection fration is at 45%. I know that my claim has been at the Rating board since Jan so at least it was not a quck reply in the negative but I try to stay positive. I do think the best I can hope for is when I filed my claim which was October 2008. It would be nice if they would go back further than that but that is the way things go. SS says the same thing as to when and why I was retired and the Hypertension played a role as when I get stressed out my blood pressure which is normally hig anyway goes through the roof and bam I get a migraine. Funny I go out to my farm for weeks at a time and it is so good just to get away from the world. I did want to ask what in your opinon do you think the date fo claim would be? I had thought it was the day I last worked as a result of a SC condition that was in part the reason but I could be wrong have a good day, adios and thanks.....

Edited by oldman273