VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Petty Officer W

Question

I just recently put a claim in for PTSD, my VA rep told me I would probably here from them in a month, and I have not so I called him today and he said oh give them another couple of weeks,

I have not been able to submit my paperwork I have proving my PTSD or been ask to see a Dr. yet to be evaluated. I have been being seen for close to 10 years at the VA hospital near here for depression, anxiety and panics and doctors at the VA have put in the reports that they felt I had PTSD in fact they were the ones that brought it to my attention, now I feel after all these years

that I should submit a claim. Is it normal to sit around and wait a month before they ask you for your paper work and to see a doctor, can someone tell me the proper steps I should take with

all of this?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Petty Officer W, please allow me to apologize if I came across rudely in my post. It was not intended to make you think that anything is a waste of time.

It is only a waste of time, if you don't have the time to sit back and wait while the VA develops your claim. But no claim is a waste of time, if the veteran believes that he/she has a valid claim. So, by all means file you claim. But please do take the advice that is/has been handed you already.

I have a dx of PTSD with major depression disorder. I can relate to the waiting before filing. However, my stressor has already been proved because it is documented in my SMR's and I did receive treatment for anxiety disorder with a depression component while in service. That is basically what others are trying to get across. So, then the question is not what all the VAMC has on file...but what is in your military records that support your claim because that is what is going to count the most toward you winning your claim.

Also, please do not send originals to the VA. Make copies and send everything certified with return receipt...costly yes...but worth it in the long run. The only thing that will make for a waste in your situation is haste. Don't be in such a rush to get everything sent out. You've waited all this time...a couple more weeks is not going to make that much of a difference. Compile and make sure everything is in order for easy reading. Your VAMR's do not have to be sent...VA has access. So, keep the paperwork down to a minimum...as Carlie, and I believe Sharon, have already pointed out. Then go for it. Best regards.

I contacted my VSO yesterday and asked him if he thought this all was a waste of time and he got really upset and gave me this speech about how he has been doing this for years and knows what claims have the potential to win, and to not pay attention to what anybody else is saying, I was forced to live in Coed barracks in Hawaii anybody that was single was not allowed to live off base, which ment that I had to share living areas with many other male service members, I was living in the barracks when I was sexually assaulted and was active duty at the time but was afraid to report anything due to the fact that i had to live in he same place that these people were living, and I am talking lots of people, there were two high rise barracks on top of I do not know how many buildings that were one level that was all located on one area, when I was on duty one night a friend of mine was killed at the gate, he was standing gate guard and a drunk service member from the Army base hit him and drug him by the car before he even realized what he had done, I was the one that had to report it to the Admiral via the LT.

I went to his barracks to see if his family had come to town to get his personal belonging and I was concerned about meeting the family, while I was at the barracks I was sexually assaulted by one of the male roomates he had. I also stood military police duty as well (shore patrol) in Pearl Harbor there I witness things that I should not have seen and also met my husband while on patrol who was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, I was legally married to him and still on active duty, I have made contact with some of his friends who were stationed on the ship with him who witnessed his actions and how he would get out of control and get violent they are submitting letters to me soon and they will be going with my paper work. I will try to keep the paperwork to a minimum and I am getting ready to send it out I probably wont win but my VSO demands I continue this because he feels I have the potential to win.

Petty Officer W

Petty Officer W, please allow me to apologize if I came across rudely in my post. It was not intended to make you think that anything is a waste of time.

It is only a waste of time, if you don't have the time to sit back and wait while the VA develops your claim. But no claim is a waste of time, if the veteran believes that he/she has a valid claim. So, by all means file you claim. But please do take the advice that is/has been handed you already.

I have a dx of PTSD with major depression disorder. I can relate to the waiting before filing. However, my stressor has already been proved because it is documented in my SMR's and I did receive treatment for anxiety disorder with a depression component while in service. That is basically what others are trying to get across. So, then the question is not what all the VAMC has on file...but what is in your military records that support your claim because that is what is going to count the most toward you winning your claim.

Also, please do not send originals to the VA. Make copies and send everything certified with return receipt...costly yes...but worth it in the long run. The only thing that will make for a waste in your situation is haste. Don't be in such a rush to get everything sent out. You've waited all this time...a couple more weeks is not going to make that much of a difference. Compile and make sure everything is in order for easy reading. Your VAMR's do not have to be sent...VA has access. So, keep the paperwork down to a minimum...as Carlie, and I believe Sharon, have already pointed out. Then go for it. Best regards.

I contacted my VSO yesterday and asked him if he thought this all was a waste of time and he got really upset and gave me this speech about how he has been doing this for years and knows what claims have the potential to win, and to not pay attention to what anybody else is saying, I was forced to live in Coed barracks in Hawaii anybody that was single was not allowed to live off base, which ment that I had to share living areas with many other male service members, I was living in the barracks when I was sexually assaulted and was active duty at the time but was afraid to report anything due to the fact that i had to live in he same place that these people were living, and I am talking lots of people, there were two high rise barracks on top of I do not know how many buildings that were one level that was all located on one area, when I was on duty one night a friend of mine was killed at the gate, he was standing gate guard and a drunk service member from the Army base hit him and drug him by the car before he even realized what he had done, I was the one that had to report it to the Admiral via the LT.

I went to his barracks to see if his family had come to town to get his personal belonging and I was concerned about meeting the family, while I was at the barracks I was sexually assaulted by one of the male roomates he had. I also stood military police duty as well (shore patrol) in Pearl Harbor there I witness things that I should not have seen and also met my husband while on patrol who was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, I was legally married to him and still on active duty, I have made contact with some of his friends who were stationed on the ship with him who witnessed his actions and how he would get out of control and get violent they are submitting letters to me soon and they will be going with my paper work. I will try to keep the paperwork to a minimum and I am getting ready to send it out I probably wont win but my VSO demands I continue this because he feels I have the potential to win.

I also forgot to mention that I was receiving counseling on base while I was in Hawaii, from a Commander who was a PSY counselor, I do not know if there are records anywhere on that because I do not think something like that is in your service records, I hope that they are able to find somewhere that I was being seen by a counselor. I do suffer from depression as well very bad, I have constant insommnia, anxiety and the whole works. Maybe I should have submitted my claim for depression I do not know, that why I am hear to get help to learn.

Petty Officer W

I contacted my VSO yesterday and asked him if he thought this all was a waste of time and he got really upset and gave me this speech about how he has been doing this for years and knows what claims have the potential to win, and to not pay attention to what anybody else is saying,

I do not see any post in this thread where anyone has stated not to file your claim.

I will say that many times VSO's will really get your hopes up and then leave you hanging.

I would like to know if this VSO, will still be your VSO in six months and/or will even bother

to return a phone call you make to them.

I was forced to live in Coed barracks in Hawaii anybody that was single was not allowed to live off base, which ment that I had to share living areas with many other male service members, I was living in the barracks when I was sexually assaulted and was active duty at the time but was afraid to report anything due to the fact that i had to live in he same place that these people were living, and I am talking lots of people, there were two high rise barracks on top of I do not know how many buildings that were one level that was all located on one area, when I was on duty one night a friend of mine was killed at the gate, he was standing gate guard and a drunk service member from the Army base hit him and drug him by the car before he even realized what he had done, I was the one that had to report it to the Admiral via the LT.

I went to his barracks to see if his family had come to town to get his personal belonging and I was concerned about meeting the family, while I was at the barracks I was sexually assaulted by one of the male roomates he had.

VA will request evidence of the personel assault, in some form.

VA will ask if you made a MP or Police report,went to a clinic, told other's about the incident, talked to clergy, if you got in any trouble after the incident or had a change in military status such as a demotion or transfer, did you get a pregnancy or HIV test etc....

Believe me when I say PTSD for sexual assault (MST) with no record at the time of assault,

is a very difficult claim.

I also stood military police duty as well (shore patrol) in Pearl Harbor there I witness things that I should not have seen

What evidence do you have to support your contention on this - do you feel these are some of the factors to be weighed in a claim for PTSD ?

and also met my husband while on patrol who was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor, I was legally married to him and still on active duty, I have made contact with some of his friends who were stationed on the ship with him who witnessed his actions and how he would get out of control and get violent they are submitting letters to me soon and they will be going with my paper work.

For the claim to have any chance at success it will be necessary for a Mental Health professional

to provide a diagnosis of a current Mental Health disorder and a nexus to a specific, verifiable stressor on active duty.

I do not feel that a shotgun approach will be beneficial to your claim.

By shotgun approach I mean, listing stressors to PTSD as:

1) sexual assault

2) witness things I should not have seen

3) domestic violence from active duty intoxicated husband

4) witness to husband's suicide

As I posted above the Mental Health professional will have to provide a nexus (connection)

to your PTSD to a specific stressor and also support their findings with medical rationale.

I will try to keep the paperwork to a minimum and I am getting ready to send it out I probably wont win but my VSO demands I continue this because he feels I have the potential to win.

I have no idea who or what your VSO thinks they are to try and make demands of any claimant.

jmho,

carlie