VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Petty Officer W

Question

I just recently put a claim in for PTSD, my VA rep told me I would probably here from them in a month, and I have not so I called him today and he said oh give them another couple of weeks,

I have not been able to submit my paperwork I have proving my PTSD or been ask to see a Dr. yet to be evaluated. I have been being seen for close to 10 years at the VA hospital near here for depression, anxiety and panics and doctors at the VA have put in the reports that they felt I had PTSD in fact they were the ones that brought it to my attention, now I feel after all these years

that I should submit a claim. Is it normal to sit around and wait a month before they ask you for your paper work and to see a doctor, can someone tell me the proper steps I should take with

all of this?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

If you are filing for the MST you must show that you had PTSD prior to your husband's death. From what I have read it seems that your husband had some problems prior to his death. Was he ever treated for a mental condition while he was on active duty. Was his alcohol abuse self medication for an underlying problem. He seems to have made rank quickly and then got out with 16 years of service. Was there a traumatic event that happened to him. Perhaps his death should be looked into for service connection. I don't want to open an old wound, but look into all possibilities.

Luvhim

I tried to get to the point that no vet wants to give the VA an alternative explanation for any disability they are claiming besides military service. The VA will ignore ten tons of evidence that supports service connection if they can jump on one sentence that could be the explanation for a disability that is not related to military service. This happened to me more than once. If you give the VA a string to pull on they will pull that string and unwind your claim.

John, I hear you...I had the same issue come up for me in the early part of my claim process back in 2003. I think that is when it turned into a "fight" with the VA. So, I know exactly what you're talking about.

He was being treated! More then once, and he served in several war zones, he did make rank quickly when it came to serving his country and doing his job went above the norm and had perfect evaluations,

I think he was having a hard time adjusting to civilian life especially when he was used to being in charge ect............ yes the military was treating him in fact he spent 6 weeks in the hospital for inpatient alcohol treatment...... please explain to me what you mean by service connected he is deceased.

Christine

If you are filing for the MST you must show that you had PTSD prior to your husband's death. From what I have read it seems that your husband had some problems prior to his death. Was he ever treated for a mental condition while he was on active duty. Was his alcohol abuse self medication for an underlying problem. He seems to have made rank quickly and then got out with 16 years of service. Was there a traumatic event that happened to him. Perhaps his death should be looked into for service connection. I don't want to open an old wound, but look into all possibilities.