Dic Question

cjevans

Question

My husband was awarded 100% (2 times) effective January 2008 (awarded Nov 2008) for: Laryngeal Squamous cell cancer w/metasstasis, laryngetomy, radical neck dissection, status post radiation therapy, dysphagia w/gastrostomy, nasal obstructin, difficulty breathing, and permanent tracheostomy associated with radiation. #2 Cancer metastasis to lymphh nodes associated w/ laryngeal squamous cell cancer w/metastasis, rest same as #1..

Question..Husband has been recently diagnosed w/liver cancer. If he passes away from this will I be able to receive DIC?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

God's mercy on your husband. To answer your question, Yes. The secondary cancers would be extension of the service connected cancer.

me·tas·ta·sis n. pl. me·tas·ta·ses 1. Transmission of pathogenic microorganisms or cancerous cells from an original site to one or more sites elsewhere in the body, usually by way of the blood vessels or lymphatics.2. A secondary cancerous growth formed by transmission of cancerous cells from a primary growth located elsewhere in the body.

Edited by sharon

God's mercy on your husband. To answer your question, Yes. The secondary cancers would be extension of the service connected cancer.

me·tas·ta·sis n. pl. me·tas·ta·ses 1. Transmission of pathogenic microorganisms or cancerous cells from an original site to one or more sites elsewhere in the body, usually by way of the blood vessels or lymphatics.2. A secondary cancerous growth formed by transmission of cancerous cells from a primary growth located elsewhere in the body.

Sharon - Thank you for your reply...one more question...Am I eligible for DIC since my husband was just awarded 100% in November 2008 (effective Jan 2008)???

Sharon - Thank you for your reply...one more question...Am I eligible for DIC since my husband was just awarded 100% in November 2008 (effective Jan 2008)???

Yes :D

Dependant Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

DIC is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of a

• military service member who died while on active duty, OR
  • veteran whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease, OR
  • veteran whose death resulted from a non service-related injury or disease, and who was receiving, or was entitled to receive, VA Compensation for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling
    for at least 10 years immediately before death, OR
  • since the veteran's release from active duty and for at least five years immediately preceding death, OR
  • for at least one year before death if the veteran was a former prisoner of war who died after September 30, 1999.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/dependents/index.htm

Edited by sharon

If he dies from Liver Cancer and is NOT rated as service-connected for Liver Cancer by the VA, you will NOT be eligible. If you haven't done so already, you need to file a Claim with proof from a Doctor that his Liver Cancer is related to the other cancer...don't wait, the VA ONLY pays DIC if death condition is service connected "in your case", because you do NOT met the other requirements of time (10 years at 100%).