VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Petty Officer W

Question

I have been out of the military since 1988, someone told me that they dont think I will win a claim putting it in after being out all these years. I am putting in the claim now because my social security survivors benefits stopped and I am still raising children of a deceased veteran who served 16 years active duty mostly on ships and some in war zones. I met him while I was in the service, and his traumatic death traumatized me really bad to the point where i have to constant take meds or I will have constant panic attacks. I was told years ago that if I was collect social security I could not put in for military disability (someone told me wrong), I put in my claim over 1 months ago and I have not heard anything and they have not even asked me for my paperwork..... on my proof ...any advice.....

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I have been out of the military since 1988, someone told me that they dont think I will win a claim putting it in after being out all these years. I am putting in the claim now because my social security survivors benefits stopped and I am still raising children of a deceased veteran who served 16 years active duty mostly on ships and some in war zones. I met him while I was in the service, and his traumatic death traumatized me really bad to the point where i have to constant take meds or I will have constant panic attacks. I was told years ago that if I was collect social security I could not put in for military disability (someone told me wrong), I put in my claim over 1 months ago and I have not heard anything and they have not even asked me for my paperwork..... on my proof ...any advice.....

is your stressor the death of a friend after discharge? i don't think the va will entertain an out of service stressor.someone else may have input on this though.good luck with your claim.

the thing that stands out to me is that you say that you are only putting in this claim because your Soc Sec benefits ran out.

that's a red flag.

you mentioned your friend dying a traumatic death. i'm sorry to hear about your friend.

did this happen in service?

did you witness this?

are you dx with PTSD as a direct result of witnessing this?

did you get treatment for this while active duty?

have you been getting treatment for this since 1988?

sorry for all of the ?'s.....but they are all important to determine if you have a claim or not.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you tell the VA that you have PTSD now because of something that happened after service that is going to be a difficult mountain to climb. You have to focus on what happened in the military even if it happened 40 years ago.

First off, hello and welcome to Hadit, Petty Officer W.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with John. It is going to be a fight for sure attempting to claim a service connected disability for something that occurred after service.

My question is: Were you and the vet married? You mentioned children "...of the veteran..."

I am very sorry for your loss and is obvious effects on you. Have you considered applying for Social Security Disability for yourself? I don't know your employment situation. Are you being treated for your current diagnosis at a VAMC?

Hi Petty OfficerW

Combat 0311 in Nam 1965-66,WIA 1966,saw my share of stuff;havn't talked much of my service in Nam ever.

Filed my initial claim for PTSD 2006,denied;filed NOD 2007 still waiting,circumstances simular;1999 involved in an auto accident,young lady was killed,mother of three due to be married following month;our youngest son comitted suicide in our living room 2003;while discussing my claim with the Dr's all they could extract from all my a Combat experience,smells,sounds,voices,memories ,flash-backs,choppers;and these two tragic events;that are not related to Nam,but that is all they could relate to,and they beleived they were not related to Nam;inessence,it all must be related to COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for rambeling,hope you get my point,in 40 yrs;Nam has never never never left me;and without being a Dr.certainly other cricis have occured,but they are all connected;the VA only wants to hear the COMBAT SHIT........hope this helps.

Semper Fi:

Pat