VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decision Review Officer

Rate this question

bootstrap1

Question

I've been service connected since '96 and as some of us know that with every decision letter that the va returns to us, they state that a higher evaluation is warranted if certain evidence is present. Based on the VA's own criteria for higher evaluation because I have these issues present, I am now in a appeals process and have been offered to elect an decision review officer or continue the traditional process. I have been advised by a veteran help organization to elect the DRO, but was looking for more advice. Can anyone offer any insight? thanks and thank you for serving

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am using Mark Lippman at The Veterans Law Group (www.veteranslaw.com), they are in San Diego but handle cases all over the US and only do VA cases. They will evaluate your case and if they think that you have a shot, they will take it on. They charge 20% of the back pay you get and that is it. They will even advance the costs for medical opinions if they are needed.

I am using Mark Lippman at The Veterans Law Group (www.veteranslaw.com), they are in San Diego but handle cases all over the US and only do VA cases. They will evaluate your case and if they think that you have a shot, they will take it on. They charge 20% of the back pay you get and that is it. They will even advance the costs for medical opinions if they are needed.

thanks. should I go with the dro officer first and see happens? If it's not favorable to me then consult them? I'm not sure what to do first

I really have some questions on a DRO review and not sure where to post on this but have seen some answers to questions that would have been greatly appreciated a few years ago so here goes the situation.

After receiving a partial rating, my husband appealed a portion of the declined conditions. And, we sat and waited and waited and waited. Waiting for an appointment at a local VA hospital he sat next to a congressman's brother. Thus, it was suggested he contact the senator. Which he did and within a few weeks had appointments set up for an increased rating plus a hearing with a DRO for the appeal. An appointment was set up with a doctor in September for the increase. And, he attended a hearing in November with the DRO. The DRO indicated he needed specific wording in the report from a compensation exam and would be setting up two new appointments. One was in December on one issue and January on the other. The neurologist in December disagreed with the original determination and indicated so and the reason in his report with the "specific wording". It looked great!! We know because we picked up the report and provided it to DAV and to the hearings officer. This was the end of January. Supposed the review board has everything now.

Originally, we were told the VA internal date guideline for finishing the claim was March 30, then it was moved to April 3rd. Now we have no clue. We used to contact DAV but that is almost a joke. The service officer never (and I do mean, never) returns phone calls. Never returns emails. Since we are out of town for a few months, it is difficult to find someone willing to provide answers. We finally discovered the VA phone line and most of them have been the best. I read a post here where determination should have already happened.

Does anyone know anything?

Anyone have a clue what to do next or how to get any answers? Thanks. B)

When it comes to the VA decisions they do not have timelines. the vet has to adhere to timelines for claims, dro's appeals, etc, but the VA operates on their own time lines as we will do it when we get to it!

You might discover you will get different answers when you call the toll free number, as the answerer reads from a screen. Some people do like IRIS, but that was non functional in my opinion looking for info in my cases.

Good luck. Stay healthy while away too.

I really have some questions on a DRO review and not sure where to post on this but have seen some answers to questions that would have been greatly appreciated a few years ago so here goes the situation.

After receiving a partial rating, my husband appealed a portion of the declined conditions. And, we sat and waited and waited and waited. Waiting for an appointment at a local VA hospital he sat next to a congressman's brother. Thus, it was suggested he contact the senator. Which he did and within a few weeks had appointments set up for an increased rating plus a hearing with a DRO for the appeal. An appointment was set up with a doctor in September for the increase. And, he attended a hearing in November with the DRO. The DRO indicated he needed specific wording in the report from a compensation exam and would be setting up two new appointments. One was in December on one issue and January on the other. The neurologist in December disagreed with the original determination and indicated so and the reason in his report with the "specific wording". It looked great!! We know because we picked up the report and provided it to DAV and to the hearings officer. This was the end of January. Supposed the review board has everything now.

Originally, we were told the VA internal date guideline for finishing the claim was March 30, then it was moved to April 3rd. Now we have no clue. We used to contact DAV but that is almost a joke. The service officer never (and I do mean, never) returns phone calls. Never returns emails. Since we are out of town for a few months, it is difficult to find someone willing to provide answers. We finally discovered the VA phone line and most of them have been the best. I read a post here where determination should have already happened.

Does anyone know anything?

Anyone have a clue what to do next or how to get any answers? Thanks. B)