VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Pecentage For Ptsd?

Rate this question

seven777

Question

Just got a copy of my ptsd c&p, can anyone tell me what this means? it says that i meet DSM-IVstressor criterion? YES

does the veteran meet the DSM-IV criteria forb a diagnosis of PTSD? YES

AXIS I:PTSD

AXIS II:NO DIAGNOSIS

AXIS III:LUMBAGO,ARTHROPYATHY ANKLE/FOOT,HTN,PSORIASIS

AXIS IV: GAF 55

p.s no problem with the stressors , as i was a medic and recieved the "cmb"

thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The rate you get depends more then just a GAF score. The GAF score is supposed to be how you are overall but unfortunately it just ends up being rated as of that time they wrote this DSM nexus. Look at the criteria between 30% and 50%. It's most likley in that ballpark with them more leaning towards 30%. They say you don't have to have all the quote symptoms but the people read your case and match it up. SO focus more on the symptoms and severity then the current GAF score. Least you don't have to prove stressor for service connection, cuz of your CMB. Once you prove connection, the rating is just going to be based on severity of symptoms. It won't be a case of you saw this or that and someone else didn't and they have a higher rating. Check the symptoms in 30% and 50%. SOrry to go over the same stuff multiple times. Hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually the GAF is only part of the rating process. To many here get hung up on it. The GAF can change from one visit to another and is subjective. Yes it is an opinion and the opinion of someone who is not unbiased at that.

• HadIt.com Elder

For PTSD the big item that will give you a higher rating is "Can you work?". If you have PTSD and are still able to work then you probably won't get much over 50%. If you can't work due to PTSD then you have a good shot at 70%-100%. Your doctor needs to say that you can't work due to your PTSD. The VA won't just see that you are not working and then make the connection between this and your PTSD. If you are working and want a higher rating I suggest you go in as an in-patient at least once a year. After a while when the VA sees that you have many hospitalizations for PTSD you will probably get a higher rating than the average working stiff. Even if you go in for a few days it will help, and go through all the PTSD clinics and groups etc. You have to make it your profession. You have to go to the VA and get treatment and accept the scripts they give you. Never say one good word about how you feel or your work or family. This is just my advice.