VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Board Process Timeline

Rate this question

Breakthechain

Question

Hello,

I'm new to this process. I filed my claim in Sept 08 and completed my exams in Dec 08. My claim was sent to the rating board on 25 Feb 09 and I'm still waiting on a decision. Should I be worried or is this the normal process? Help and giudance needed!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello,

I'm new to this process. I filed my claim in Sept 08 and completed my exams in Dec 08. My claim was sent to the rating board on 25 Feb 09 and I'm still waiting on a decision. Should I be worried or is this the normal process? Help and giudance needed!

Don't feel bad. My claim went to the rating board Dec 08, and as of today it is still there. I filed in Georgia, but after 90 days at the rating board I was told that Georgia was so far behind that my claim was sent to S. Carolina to be rated. Sorry, but there is no set time. I know 3 people who retired and filed 2 months after me(same state) and all have had their decisions for months now. Their cases took on average about 5 months from start to finish. I'm on month 9 and still waiting. Just keep your fingers cross. It's a hurry up and wait game.

• HadIt.com Elder

You time them with a calendar...A claim can take anywhere from 6-18 months from start to finish these days. You can expect to be a the rating board for anywhere from 3 months to 6 months or longer. Pull up a chair, get a snack, and keep reading the board. You'll have a decision before you know it. If it helps to ease your mind, pick a certain day of the week and call the 800# or send a IRIS on that same day every week to check for progress. You may or may not get correct information, but it can hold the demons in your mind at bay until the next week. Good luck!

Don't feel bad. My claim went to the rating board Dec 08, and as of today it is still there. I filed in Georgia, but after 90 days at the rating board I was told that Georgia was so far behind that my claim was sent to S. Carolina to be rated. Sorry, but there is no set time. I know 3 people who retired and filed 2 months after me(same state) and all have had their decisions for months now. Their cases took on average about 5 months from start to finish. I'm on month 9 and still waiting. Just keep your fingers cross. It's a hurry up and wait game.

The Veterans Service Rep called me in Jan needing a copy of my DD214 showing I recieved a medal for my deployment to Afghanistan. She stated that OEF /OIF veterans claims were being expedited. I wonder what is their definition of expedite? I have also recieved numerous calls from the VA, informing me of my benefits as a combat soldier and benefits for women. I told the rep I would love to take advantage of the benefits offered, but I can't until I recieve a rating. So what's the point of informing me of my benefits, if I'm not able to take advantage of them right now. And from what has been posted, I may not take advantage of them for awhile.

You time them with a calendar...A claim can take anywhere from 6-18 months from start to finish these days. You can expect to be a the rating board for anywhere from 3 months to 6 months or longer. Pull up a chair, get a snack, and keep reading the board. You'll have a decision before you know it. If it helps to ease your mind, pick a certain day of the week and call the 800# or send a IRIS on that same day every week to check for progress. You may or may not get correct information, but it can hold the demons in your mind at bay until the next week. Good luck!

How do you send an IRIS? I'm assuming that's how you check online for information on your claim. thank you

The Veterans Service Rep called me in Jan needing a copy of my DD214 showing I recieved a medal for my deployment to Afghanistan. She stated that OEF /OIF veterans claims were being expedited. I wonder what is their definition of expedite? I have also recieved numerous calls from the VA, informing me of my benefits as a combat soldier and benefits for women. I told the rep I would love to take advantage of the benefits offered, but I can't until I recieve a rating. So what's the point of informing me of my benefits, if I'm not able to take advantage of them right now. And from what has been posted, I may not take advantage of them for awhile.

Did you not go thru the BDD system prior to discharge ?

carlie

Hello,

Here is my experince, I filed in Oct 08 my buddy down the road filled in sept 08. He got his first turned down letter in December he appealed it got the results last week (He got his TDIU) me I am still waiting my first descion same state living three miles apart but each case is different. Hang in there it sucks but you are not alone. Subscribe to netfix and watch movies if you have the time do anyting to take your mind off it. This is the best palce to learn where you are and what you can do to help your case. Adios and still waiting......