VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alj Hearing

Rate this question

unique

Question

I'm new to the message board. I'm 100% TDIU for PTSD and also have been diagnosed with Major Depression, Psychosis and Paranoia. I stopped working in November 2006 and applied for social security disability in April 2007. I was denied at the Initial and Reconsideration level. I am now waiting for a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge that I applied for in August 2008. I am currently on Effexor XR 300mg, Hydroxyzine 75mg, Mirtazapine 50mg, Seroquel 300mg, Remeron 50mg, Lamictal 75mg, and Perphenazine 50mg. I see a psychiatrist once a month and a psychologist twice a month. My psychiatrist is very supportive of my case and said that I am not able to work. I am represented by a local attorney. What do you think the chances are of me getting a favorable decision at the ALJ hearing?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi unique,

Welcome to the Board. I honestly don't see why you were turned down to have

to go before the Judge.

What were the reasons Social Security turned you down?

Again, welcome and sorry I do not know more to tell you.

The others will chime in to help you.

Always,

Josephine

I was turned down at the reconsideration level because according to social security, "Although you have some mental problems, you are able to think, communicate, act in your own interest and pursue your usual activities. We understand that your combination of conditions might limit you from doing some types of work; however, you are able to do other work that is less demanding or stressful. Your condition does not prevent all work." I am wondering is that the reason for denial they give everyone who has a mental impairment.

Hi unique,

Your situation sounds alot like mine. I too have TDIU, however, I applied for SSD in Dec. 2007 (Once before in April 2004). I was denied with basically the same response as you, now I am waiting on a hearing. I too am being represented by an attorney. My attorney told me that if they didn't think that I could win, they wouldn't have taken my case. Anyway, I am 50% Major Depressive Disorder and 30% IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) total 70% + IU.

Cherie33