VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cavc

Rate this question

deanbrt

Question

I currently have a 30% rating and my claim for 100% is now at CAVC. I do have a well known attorney that reviewed by BVA denial, thinks I have a case and will represent me before CAVC. But I am concerned about how this process will go. It looks like the attorney's goal is to get it remanded (It was remanded by a law judge already during the BVA process) back to BVA. They then get paid but I don't know what that would do for me. Can someone help me with this? I have been represented by Disabled American Veterans but feel like they just go through the motions and don't really fight for people

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If he is a well known attorney you should take his advice. Just my opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

I currently have a 30% rating and my claim for 100% is now at CAVC. I do have a well known attorney that reviewed by BVA denial, thinks I have a case and will represent me before CAVC. But I am concerned about how this process will go. It looks like the attorney's goal is to get it remanded (It was remanded by a law judge already during the BVA process) back to BVA. They then get paid but I don't know what that would do for me. Can someone help me with this? I have been represented by Disabled American Veterans but feel like they just go through the motions and don't really fight for people

I don't think an Attorney should be paid for a Remand, that's not the same thing as winning! That's NUTS! Is this true, that lawyers get paid for Remands? ~Wings

Edited by Wings

The CAVC will not consider any more evidence. I hope you were able to fully support the case prior to the CAVC Docket-

"It looks like the attorney's goal is to get it remanded (It was remanded by a law judge already during the BVA process) back to BVA. They then get paid but I don't know what that wo" etc

Yes- that is the goal at the CAVC- I helped an attorney recently and knew this was his only chance Remand and he was jubilant hat his vet got one-

the remand opened the door for more evidence and expanded VCAA rights -(possibly)

The attorney and I both found the same legal errors the BVA made ,he put this into the brief,and the CAVC remanded due to the BVA errors.

I wasnt too thrilled however - as I told the attorney-(new to VA 101 but under auspices of another attorney who I know well) his vet still has a claim with no proof of nexus and his scenario (AO claim) is not based on facts.

Unfortunately this claim involves exposure from alleged AO spraying from a small ficxed wing aircraft similiar to Cessnas I flew as a civilian.

There is no room in the cockpit for a Hayes dispenser and the plane the vet identified by the vet-I have compete Mil aircraft pictures etc)was used by mil solely for low altitude surveillance.

This point needs to be made- even if the CAVC remands- the vet still must prove what is lacking-

in your case I hope that you did that already-therefore that remand can potentially bring you an award.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
The CAVC

will not consider any more evidence. I hope you were able to fully

support the case prior to the CAVC Docket.

Berta and Dean,

Currently, the CAVC has the authority to Remand (back) to the BVA. Would their Remand order's be retricted to only correcting administrative and legal errors, or does the CAVC also have the authority to Remad for futher development (of evidence)?

~Wings

It looks to me like the atty's goal is to get it remanded, in which case they get paid by the government. It sounds like the CAVC very seldom reverses but frequently remands. This opens the door up for new evidence but then your CAVC atty says you are on your own...

I did have it reviewed (my claim) by what I hope is a reputable law firm in this regard (former VA attys) and they agreed to rep me after reading it. But this process is tortured... I have what I think is an obvious case but it seems the VA is using "triage" in their decision making....