VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Than 10,000 Vets Warned To Get Blood Tests

Rate this question

halos2

Question

OK we are all aware of the dirty instrument contamination with the colonscopies at Murfreesboro, Tn, and in Miami but now the endoscopic equipment in question was also used at an ear, nose, and throat facility in Augusta, Ga. All three sites failed to properly sterilize the equipment between treatments. The VA has said it does not know if veterans who were treated with the same kind of equipment at its other 150 hospitals may have been exposed to the same mistake.

The Veterans Affairs Department is investigating whether there is a link between a VA patients positive HIV test and the unsterilized equipment that might have exposed thousands of veterans to infectious diseases.( This HIV has been referenced 2 days ago) Do you know how many vets really could have had their health compromised?? No excuse here, there are some sick bas*ards out there who are too lazy to make sure the equiptment is clean and STERILIZED. How about we let them have the contaminated equipment used on them,or how would they feel if it were used on their family! Never happen! When it comes to the vets, we are treated as second class citizens. I get further and more appauled at this disgrace when it come to vets treatments.

Dr Oz said more patients die of medical errors/hospital errors/contamination infections than diseases each year. Pitiful. Just pitiful.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are they testing those with colonoscopy done at ALL l VAMC's?

Also is there a date range they are testing?

Hello Hadit friends,

I just called 1800 827-1000 representatives and they gave me another number to call, 877-575-7256, they are handling all calls regarding the cross contamination reports. I sopke to a nurse, and asked if I should be tested because I had an ENT exam and pelvic exam in Dec 08. She stated they are only testing those who had colonscopies. She stated this is the only equipment in question. I ask is this because this is the only equipment they have knowelge of that was contaminated. I asked if the VA can test me because I wanted to be sure, and was informed I will have to be tested by my own private physician. Again she stated, the VA is only testing those who had colonscopies. I'm going to call my own provider and get the test done. But should VA, perform the test?

Just my opinion....but I would say that if you are worried, contact your PCP and ask to be tested. Obviously the folks at the 1-800 don't know and moreso, don't care. It's always been a personal policy of mine to never call the 1-800 # for anything. But that's just me.

I plan on asking to be tested due to having PAP tests.

To me, any invasive test/surgery is now suspect. Then again, I have a HUGE distrust of the VA healthcare system.

I called the Miami VA Center thats handling all the cross contamination calls and the refered me to the Augusta Clinc to answer all my questions. I called the Augusta Clinic and they stated because my name is not on a list, they will not provide the testing. The cross contaminated equipment was from Jan 08 - around Nov 20, 08. Because my test were performed on 4 Dec 08, they will not provide the testing. I called my personal provider and I will be tested next week.

Major problem at civilian facilities also, just look at the MURSA problem, killed my Mom in 04 so it's not just a VA problem. The real problem is too many patients in an overloaded healthcare system and not enough healthcare employees, ever notice how many patients nurses and Doctors are caring for at the same time, and its all about cost effectiveness both in the VA system and the civilian system

Friends NUMBERS RISING to 30 now. Vets tested positive for infectious diseases. Now they think over 11,ooo need to be tested. Studies show the possibility of a faulty valve that allowed backflow with the irrigation system. The sterilization process was hindered and contamination quite possibly was one of the causitive agents.

Older vets and those without internet access are at risk of not receiving this information to be tested...the VA so far has not mailed out info to all who may have been subjected to these viruses related to the contamination.

Be safe...Always wash your hands and question or observe others do the same. Question utensiles/equiptment that is to be steriilized.

NOT LOOKING GOOD FRIENDS !!

Va says now 28 vets infected after being tested related to this outrageous contamination incident...

3 NOW POSITIVE for HIV (one at each center)

6 Positive for Hepatitis B

19 Positive for Hepatitis C

(per watchdog info)

Pass this on to anyone who may have received any of these tests, especially at these facilities. We know there are many vets out there who are not aware this has occurred and they may have had the tests/been infected. This might be epidemic proportions by the time they really notify all who were tested.

Lets hope by some chance, the vets WILL be notified of this major health threat! B)