VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Loss Of Use As It Apply To Special Adapted Housing

Rate this question

Dorothy Kansas

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Dorothy, file a claim for loss of use, what you will need to win that is ,you have to get a doctor to say your loss of use is because of something you are SC for.If your loss of use is not because of something you ar SC for it will not be granted. you can also request a C&P for loss of use as I understand it from reading a bunch of BVA cases you will more that likely need a loss of use C&P it will speed things up a bit to just request one. sorry I can't help much just going thru loss of use request myself.

Ratings under 38 U.S.C. 1114(l). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(l) is payable for anatomical loss or loss of use of both feet, one hand and one foot, blindness in both eyes with visual acuity of 5/200 or less or being permanently bedridden or so helpless as to be in need of regular aid and attendance.

If you have loss of use for both legs and or feet then you will be awarded "L" and SAH. You have to have the SMC in order to get the SAH so they kinda go hand in hand.

I already have A/A for helplessness. I have a telephone confirmation that I was awarded the SAH with that being said they should grant me the smc for loss of use of both lower extremities since I am SC for both lower extremities which interfere and cause me loss of use.

I already have A/A for helplessness. I have a telephone confirmation that I was awarded the SAH with that being said they should grant me the smc for loss of use of both lower extremities since I am SC for both lower extremities which interfere and cause me loss of use.

The loss of use rating could be coming. On the SAH the rating will state that you qualify, however, as stated below you will have to file the appropriate form to get the process rolling. Same as with CH 35 stuff - they award you the elgibility, however, you must still apply for the benefits. Good Luck

The loss of use rating could be coming. On the SAH the rating will state that you qualify, however, as stated below you will have to file the appropriate form to get the process rolling. Same as with CH 35 stuff - they award you the elgibility, however, you must still apply for the benefits. Good Luck

Well I got the rating and it did not mention loss of use but awarded the sah. What form should I fill out to get the smc.

Well I got the rating and it did not mention loss of use but awarded the sah. What form should I fill out to get the smc.

To get the SAH rolling you will need to complete VA Form 26-4555, Veterans Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing.

There is no form for applying for SMC. First I must ask what did they base the award of SAH on in the rating decision?

Second you need to send them a letter asking that although they awarded SAH based on XXXXXXXXX they did not award appropriate SMC for the disability and ask they they reconsider their decision and grant SMC XX based upon XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. In other words it is just a simple letter requesting the award. If they do not act then you will need to provide a NOD stating your argument for the award of the SMC.

Good Luck

P.S. Take a look at this site: http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?id=33&pg=kb.page

clown man;\they awarded the grant based on loss of locomotion and not being able to ambulate greater than 100ft without the use of wheelchair or canadian crutches. Of course they made it appear like I just received w/c this year. When in fact I have been w/c bound since 2003.