VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange

Rate this question

trailblazer

Question

I have a friend who is a vietnam vet. who has some complications from exposure to agent orange. The skin on his arms is black and he says its been that way for several years. I never did notice this as he always wore long sleeve shirts even in summer. He says his personal Dr.'s say it was caused by exposure to Agent Orange but the VA dosen't agree so a hearing is forth coming. Does anyone have any knowledge about this or could this be something new we have to worry about? I have studied this and can't find anything to support Agent Orange as the cause. Could it be caused by something else?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I've never heard of that as a symptom of AO exposure - but that doesn't mean

it's not possible - I've just never heard or seen it.

You posted,

"He says his personal Dr.'s say it was caused by exposure to Agent Orange but the VA dosen't agree so a hearing is forth coming."

Get this doctor to state this in writing, back it up with medical rationale

and include the doctor's credentials.

jmho,

carlie

I have vet friend who I helped with his claim- he is an African American, with very dark skin.

His doctor noticed a patch of even darker skin on his hand and set him for some lab tests.

He has SC diabetes and this is a condition that stems from diabetes in his case.

This is not a known presumptive AO condtion. Has the VA or his doc ruled out diabetes?

Diabetes Mellitus IS a fully service connectable presumptive disability for all Vietnam incountry veterans.

Even with the nexus statement the VA will not SC this unless the doctor makes a VERY strong association to AO dioxin exposure but it appears that VA rejected the doctor's opinion already.

This might be due to other reasons inservice.The type of this skin disorder that is due to diabetes is explained in the VA Diabetes Training letter available under a search here at hadit.

• HadIt.com Elder

I worked with veterans that had this condition. On retirement, the military doctors usually ascribed the black skin patches to A.O. exposure if the veteran was in the USMC with on ground Vietnam service. This was prior to the "presumptive" law enacted by congress.

I have a friend who is a vietnam vet. who has some complications from exposure to agent orange. The skin on his arms is black and he says its been that way for several years. I never did notice this as he always wore long sleeve shirts even in summer. He says his personal Dr.'s say it was caused by exposure to Agent Orange but the VA dosen't agree so a hearing is forth coming. Does anyone have any knowledge about this or could this be something new we have to worry about? I have studied this and can't find anything to support Agent Orange as the cause. Could it be caused by something else?