VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Arachnoid Cysts Rated As

Rate this question

PE1

Question

I had a Brain MRI which showed an arachnoid cyst in the left frontal lobe and one in the right temporal lobe. Are Arachnoid cysts rated as a benign new brain growth?

8003 Benign, minimum 60

Rate residuals, minimum 10

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

PS-sorry if you answered this one already-

do you expect a PEB?

When you file the claim make sure you tell VA any side affects of the meds you take for this.They will rate residuals-and should give you a 'put the cube into the block ' test and the MMPI.

These tests might be only way for "objective" testing to show ratable residuals.

The ADHD -is this clearly spelled out in your SMRs as medically due to the brain cysts?

Thre is no evidence of having this when you enlisted is there?

COncerta- yeah- a high dosage-

I dont know of any side affects but they would be listed on the form that you get with the meds.

I'm actually retiring in September after 26 years. I have copies of everything. I just read this afternoon the clinical impression from the Neurologists and it says that I have a "history of TBI" (he actually wrote TBI) and that "certainly the TBI may have exacerbated any preexisting tendency". So (this is me speaking) even if the Arachnoid cysts are congenital, or the ADHD is congenital, or that the Arachnoid cysts are not the cause of the ADHD, the fact is that the TBI may have exacerbated any preexisting tendency, I'm I correct? Just planning ahead in case the rater denies any claims.

Also, in the MRI of the brain there were white matter lesions, which the Neurologist wrote down that "these are nonspecific, not in a periventricular pattern". And that he doesn't think that I have MS. But he did write taht "These are probably related to previous trauma or idiopathic".

As long as they are considering the TBI-as part of or due to the parachute accident- this will help you a lot -if the VA does not get hung up on "pre existing tendency".

Is this conjecture -as to the pre existing nature of your cyst?- I guess I mean does the VA have proof positive that you had a pre-existing situation?Or did the VA just throw that in?

"white matter lesions"

also perhaps due to the Parachute incident

"So (this is me speaking) even if the Arachnoid cysts are congenital, or the ADHD is congenital, or that the Arachnoid cysts are not the cause of the ADHD, the fact is that the TBI may have exacerbated any preexisting tendency, I'm I correct? Just planning ahead in case the rater denies any claims."

You got that right on point here- you sure are getting those ducks in a row- and arming them with evidence as well as looking for the land mines NOW!

I commend you for doing that.!!!!

A pre existing condition is not necessarily something that would hinder a grant of SC.

But VA however could try to maniulate a pre -existing condition (even one that did not even exist prior to service) to somehow attempt to deny a claim.

I dont think this is the case here at all and that the records you have will avert them from doing that-or even trying to-

"These are probably related to previous trauma or idiopathic".-Basically the Neuro is

giving the trauma ( the parachute accident) as the nexus and the 'idiopathic'reference means there could be no known cause.

I just hope in your records one of the Neuros gives a strong nexus statement-

getting VA to focus on the parachute event as the likely cause of your problems.or "at least as likely as not" as the excebartion of pre existing conditions.

Pre existing? did they make that up?

Or is there something actrually documented as to these could be pre- existing?

After 26 years in the military-I think they would have a difficult time using the pre existing idea to deny this claim-

I had a difficult claim years ago-a local vet-

brain tumor in service.

One period of excellent service, re-enlistment and then all hell broke loose- he got a Court Martial-

to make long story short -he had brain tumor in pituitary area- which most probably pre-existed service and was present at birth but had growth of benign nature (compared to malignancy growth.

The brain tumor growth affected him during the second enlistment-causing situations that led up to the Court Martial-

This pre existing tumor (which the surgeon who removed it noted in his med recs) was definitly there when he enlisted into service first time (unknown to the vet he even had a tumor )and by second enlistment it had affected his behavior causing the court martial-and basis for service connection claim -he died before he could file a claim-due to the surgery.

I guess my point is if VA tried to say this was related to pre existing conditions in your case- as a basis to deny-they would sure have to back that up with proof of pre existing (which might not exist) and then somehow say these conditions did not excerbate your present disability-and they would have to provide a medical rationale for that which I believe would be impossible for them to do.

You sure are perfecting your claim way ahead of time-to make sure it is solid.

and you are doing a great job.

Thank you

I'm just trying to make my claim solid.

How do they test for memory and concentration? With the 'put the cube into the block ' test and the MMPI only?

Sorry I forget- they gave my husband 7 different types of tests.

I think alot of the memory problems he had -had already been documented by his shrink.

As well as by SSA.

One reason he was in VA Day treatment had to do with memory problems.

He also got lost when he was in the PTSD hospital program- when they took a day trip.There were 2 or 3 VA people with the group but he could not remember what they said when they went into the store as to keeping near each other and there was a contact point.

But he remembered our phone number, called me from a phone booth and described the surroundings (I had never been to Buffalo so I didnt know where he was). I told him I would call Buffalo Police and to stay by the phone booth-

then the phone rang as I was trying to find a number for the police (this was years ago before Google access for phone numbers)

It was his social worker -extremely relieved- and he said they got separated in a big store and only Rods 6 foot four height and his USMC cap helped them find him in a very crowded city.

This was documented-

these documented incidents can help prove extensive memory problems.

Memory problems can be hard to determine.Due to Brain trauma.

Short term and/or long term is usually noticable to a shrink.

Rod had short term loss. He hoped the CVA would erase his Vietnam stressors but it didnt.If he turned the stove on he would walk away and forget he turned it on.

Your spouse can provide some insight on your memory problems too for you claim.

Edited by Berta