VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Answers?

Rate this question

scottC

Question

I recently was removed from federal service as a Police Officer due to my Service Connected disabilities. Sleep Apnea, Asthma, Hypertension,COPD and back condition. I am 70% service connected now. I was approved for my federal employees disability retirement. I applied for TDIU my doctor sent in a medical opinion for my TDIU. The VA sent me to a C&P exap for the TDIU. The only thing I mean the only thing the doctor did was take my blood pressure which averaged 148/96. He said he "never had such a quick exam and that was all that was asked for. I was out in 3 minutes. I dont know if this was good or bad?

Scott

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

DAV rep I just spoke to said it was approved just awaiting a supervisor signature. So it sounds good. But I will still wonder until I get letter in mail.

DAV rep I just spoke to said it was approved just awaiting a supervisor signature. So it sounds good. But I will still wonder until I get letter in mail.

Question how would my service officer know if I could not even find out?

Thanks

Scott

ScottC,

I see your posts are a year old, but I have some questions. My case is similar. I am 40% for Degenerative Disc Disease and herniation of L5-S1. 18 months ago it got worst and I have been working 3-4 days week at the VA. 6 months ago my manager tried to get me put out on FERRS disability, I freaked out and went to the union. The union stopped the disability process and now I'm using FMLA to take a day off each week. I saw my VA Dr last week and she wanted to know if I wanted to be permanently put to part-time. (That would mean I would be put out of work on FERRS disability unless I settled for a part-time job.) I asked for another 6 months of 4 days a week, because I was waiting for my service connection increase. I just received my increase decision. I'm continued 40% for DDD and now receive 10% for Radiculopathy for left leg totaling 50%. In December of this year I will run out of FMLA to take the day off a week and my doctor will ask again if I want to be put to permanently part-time. I'm thinking I'll go to part-time and let the FERRS disability process start. When I'm put out on FERRS disability I'll file for TDIU. My doctor thinks part-time work would be best for me. I work in the lab standing only, with occasional sitting allowed. Anybody have any thoughts. I think I can get the 10% for left leg increased to 20% so I can have the 60% needed for filing TDIU.

I think I can get the 10% for left leg increased to 20% so I can have the 60% needed for filing TDIU.

You can file for TDIU at ANY TIME! Read this post by LarryJ!

Best of Luck!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

Djp

You should get a referral to the VA pain clinic and to a psychiatrist. Most people with back problems and chronic pain have depression. You need to start building your claim for IU. If you can get 30% for depression/chronic pain disorder you will be home free for IU. You need a doctor's statement for FERS and for SSD. You could probably use it for your IU as well. It should say you are totally disabled from all work for at least a year due to the SC conditions. After all the deductions I get about $1800 from both SSD and FERS. Your health insurance and medicare part B comes out of that. That is not enough to live on unless you have a trust fund. However, with IU you add another $2600 plus to it and you can make it most places. Do you have long or short term disability insurance? I get money from disability insurance as well. Every vet should get it if they can afford it.

The thing is that you can't be making significant money while waiting for SSD or IU. It is like taking a very early retirement. With your IU,SSD and FERS that is more than you will ever get in retirement from the feds. FERS is a pitiful retirement system. It is supposed to be a three legged stool consisting of your FERS, SSA and your 401-K. You have to work until you are 70 years old to make it.