VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Due To Mst *triggers*

Rate this question

shortpig

Question

While I was in the Army I was assaulted by a permanent party SGT and I was a trainee at AIT in New Jersey. I was set up to lose the court case by my legal council provided by the military.

They rushed me off the base to another where I ended up with a suicide attempt. Then they pushed me out of the service as quickly as possible. I have fought this battle for almost 35yrs and can't do it alone anymore. I have filed a claim for benefits and compensation. Of course the base cannot locate the criminal claim file now. I am seeing an independent Dr who has diagnosed me with PTSD and all that goes with it. She will be putting her pkg together for me to take to my C & P appt end of next week. I do have a job and really have no problems at work on a normal day. That is my life away from my home where I hide the rest of the time. Property is fenced and guarded by large dogs. My daughter does most of my shopping and takes me to my appts and anywhere I have to go. She and her hubby also live with me. The only real or close to real evidence I have are stmts from relatives of the incident and how my life changed after it.

So any advice on what to do or how this might play out will be greatly appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you have a good chance of winning your claim but you need to work on it. There are several Members on Hadit that have the same diagnosis as you and I believe can help.

• HadIt.com Elder

Short, thats a lot of years to carry that. Glad you are posting here, its difficult but not impossible, helps to share in a safe environment.

Lets see where you are at with your records first. Do you have a copy of your VA compensation file? (It will show your claim and claim history) service medical records? (should show any medical treatment while you were in), *note mental health records are usually maintained seperately and personnel records (showing station transfers?).

Do you have the VA ptsd exam worksheet to know what to expect? Its very important, namely it covers many many things that you should be examined for. I have not had a ptsd exam for my assault, as of yet. I have learned that ptsd with military sexual trauma is how the VA would have titled my diagnosis if I had applied earlier for that alone. I have major depressive disorder (mdd) and the va has 'incorporated' my mst into the diagnosis. I know more than ever, its important to get clear diagnosis, service connection and compensation for whats due you.

Do you have a veteran service officer representing you? If so, ask questions and more questions. Ask us questions here. Take notes, be prepared , show medical evidence and I feel you will succeed \.

God bless you for having endured.

Cg'up2009!

As for a veterans service officer I have one but he is worthless. Will not return my phone calls, will not respond to my emails. He started the claims process for me then seems to have dropped it. I don't think he has ever handled a case like mine before. So here I sit Like an owl on a limb. I haven't gotten my VA claim file how do I get that? I have no idea what they have in it at this point. They stated I had previously applied in 1979 but I have no memory of it. Of course I was a little drunk in 1979 so have lost some of that period of time. They said I was denied at that time because I didn't show up for an appt. Now I have to prove reason for reopening it but they have continued for 7mos without that proof. I am at this point just floating thru the process. I had to go to the VA hospital for an appt with a regular Dr and he put down in his report that I had severe PTSD and who knows what else. He wanted me to go right then to their MST PTSD clinic for women. I have a Dr I see every other week and wasn't ready to go see a stranger and start over.

I am working on my stressor letter now and it is very hard. I will get it written but it just makes getting thru the days that much harder and the nightmares more frequent.

At this point I can use all the help I can get.

I do want to let everyone who reads this know at this point "Shortpig" in no way refers to me personally. My best friend for many years was a pot belly pig whos name was Short Pig or Shorty. It has been my online name since the day I got my computer and setup my first email.

What kind of discharge did you receive? Did your receive treatment after you sucide attempt? You need to get a copy of your medical records as well as your 201 file. With PTSD you must have a verifiable stressor. Have your doctor review your record as you may need a dual diagnosis.

What kind of discharge did you receive? Did your receive treatment after you sucide attempt? You need to get a copy of your medical records as well as your 201 file. With PTSD you must have a verifiable stressor. Have your doctor review your record as you may need a dual diagnosis.

i do nto think i woudl eb here if that happened to my wife. my syshcs knwo i would get rid of anynone that messed with my wife or daugther eveen before i married. i takl bettter than i type. sorry.

i do not worryy about my life just theiers. ifigure i haev four may be 5 or 6 left in years. i took out a lot of insuracen for them over thee years and keotp mililitary insurance also. what is it vgli.

sorrry you had that happened. i woo dhave bene on your side. i think was a west point moviee on that kinds of stuff. wish my wife wsa heree to type for me.

too bad mil does nto shoot peolpe anymore.

They did not offer me treatment for the suicide attempt they just sent me thru the chain of command. Their favorite words were "You aren't cut out for this MANS Army"!

They made that very clear to me. I received a general discharge under honorable conditions. There is a letter from one of the Senior Officers that spoke with me stating that I had a bad attitude and therefore it was in the best interest of all concerned that I be released from the military. It also states that the chain of command had tried to assist me but I wasn't accepting of their assistance. Not once did they offer me any psycological assistance.

What is a 201? I have had trouble getting my medical records. When I requested them they told me they are on loan to the VA. My Advocate was supposed to search for, locate, and get them for me but he won't respond to my phone calls or emails. I'm going to try to find time today to leave work and go stand in front of his office. I need to know what he has acquired and what he has sent to be added to my file.

The assault happened on base, I was taken to the base hospital in an ambulance, they caught him the very next morning. Then when it went to court they believed him not me even though I had been badly beaten and He tried to kill me. I don't remember who told me after the trial but it was either an officer on base that they let him off because he only had 6mos left in the Army and they wanted him gone. He would not be allowed to reup.

My next question is how graphic does my Stressor letter have to be regarding what happened?