VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reporting A Death

cjevans

Question

My husband passed away two days ago. Do I wait for Death Certificate before I report his death?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

cjevans:

My condolences for your loss. The funeral home is supposed to help you with reporting. I really don't know the answer to your question.

Did your husband die from a service connected condition or was he 100% for 10 years? Hadit will be glad to help if we can.

Pete

I guess I can call American Legion. They represent our claims. Didn't know if I should until I receive the death certificate.

My husband passed away two days ago. Do I wait for death certificate, call the main VA number, call American Legion? Does anyone know the protocol? Thanks Kindly!

You should call the VA ASAP if he was getting any comp or pension and also call Social Security if he was getting that and any pension plan office as well.If any life insurance -call them too.

These entities will all want -at some point- the Death Certificate too- it might take a few days to get it as they have to be registered in the county court house in your county.

They can be costly after the first free copy. I needed at least 14 of them and they all had to be certified raised seal copies for insurance and SSA-

after VA kept loosing them-in my case- I stopped sending certified copies and sent only regular copies of one to the VA.

I am very very sorry for your loss.

It takes time to accept a death like this.

It can get overwhelming too-death costs money and causes more paperwork to deal with-

and it is often hard to even properly grieve sometimes-

I hope you have many friends and family members who can comfort you.

Your husband is in Peace I am sure.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

The last two deaths in our family (my Brother and my wife's step-Father, my Momma-in-law's husband) I got smart, I figured WTH, the Funeral Home is charging some decent bucks here, right. And they are charging MORE for the services than normal (both were Jewish Orthodox).......sooooo, how's about them earning their $8,000 - $10,000 bucks, right? RIGHT! I gave them a list of the respective insurance companies, the various newspapers, the VA and the JWV (in the case of my Momma-in-laws Hubby), the state bar and the ABA and the ACLU in the case of my Brother and a few others that I can't recall...........oh, yeah, the SSA......the funeral homes did a bang-up job......no hangups....everything was done according to the rules and regs and everybody involved was happy and I got kudoes all over.

just sayin'