VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Process

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

Got packet from VA to complete re: PTSD and MDD.

Thought I had already passed this portion but I see that is not the case.

Need help with what to send. Did not discuss MST back then and just recently began treatment...at least past eight or nine months.

I been on citalopram and have been increased over past four months to 40MG. Just not sure what RO is wanting me to provide them...they have SMR's. Appreciate, in advance all solid advice.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi!

Are you saying that you just turned in a claim for PTSD, MDD, and MST? Or one, or the other, or two or three? (go with me here, I've been known to really get rollin')

Did you file any of the above using the VONAPPS system (on-line)?

You will certainly need to notify your VARO of the fact that you are "in treatment" and, obviously, have been diagnosed, with MST (and whatever else you are being treated for.....certainly your MDD would enter into this portion of your treatment(s).

You know, of course, that you have to take them by the hand and lead them to their own obvious conclusions........by letting THEM know that THEY are treating you for the MST, and whatever else you are being treated (by them) for.

I know, I know, you would think that they would KNOW what THEY are treating you for...........but, THEY DON'T. You gotta tell them, and you need to send them, not only copies of your SMR's, but also copies of your VAMC med recs. (I got copies of my C-file once upon a time, and in my C-file were 6 MONTHS worth of correspondence between the VARO and the VAMC, all about WHAT the VAMC was actually treating me for). SIX MONTHS they held up the process........woulda been longer, 'cept I found out, by getting my C-file, about it and nipped it in the rather old, worn-out, and no longer capable of flowering, bud.

just sayin'

Hey Larry and Carlie,

Currently rated 40% for chronic lumbosacral strain with ankylosing spondylitis

Have appeal pending for secondary conditions...had C&P this morning for them.

I was also asked about the PTSD at this exam because I have secondary fibromyalgia and it appears doc actually read my C-file...there was a stack to the side of his computer and it appeared that he knew my medical history, especially after he recalled a statement my former rheum noted in my VAMR.

So, at any rate, I was given a pre-diagnosis last year (May 2008) of chronic PTSD; MDD recurrent. It was made official by psych doc and confirmed by MST group therapy doc in July 2008. I filed a claim, actually dated in June 2008. I was tested and "interviewed" for about 2 hours, test was on a different day for about the same amount of time.

Well, I sent an IRIS last month because I still had not heard anything about the claim. I got an IRIS response that indicated the claim had been "processed and rated."

Well, yesterday I check the mail and I have correspondence requesting more evidence or to sign the form that says I don't have anymore. My claim is supported by SMR's and current VAMR. Not sure what else I need to send them since I did not report the rape at time of its occurrence.

But I'm confused why they want more info regarding that when they state that they are processing my claim for "entitlement to service connection for PTSD and MDD recurrent secondary to chronic lumbosacral strain with ankylosing spondylitis."

So, now I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

luvHIM,

If stressor for PTSD is going to be difficult to prove

then I would concentrate more on the claim under MDD.

You posted,

"But I'm confused why they want more info regarding that when they state that they are processing my claim for "entitlement to service connection for PTSD and MDD recurrent secondary to chronic lumbosacral strain with ankylosing spondylitis."

you posted,

"So, at any rate, I was given a pre-diagnosis last year (May 2008) of chronic PTSD; MDD recurrent. It was made official by psych doc and confirmed by MST group therapy doc in July 2008."

Without records of the AD assault - it will be near impossible for either your

psych doc, MST group therapy doc you or VA, to CONFIRM YOUR STRESSOR.

What does your psych doc relate your MDD to ?

The route I would take would be to see if my psyc doc felt my MDD was a secondary

condition directly related and due to my SC'd condition. If your psyc doc writes this

opinion and backs it up with medical rationale - you have a solid claim.

Then the question would just be what percentage to grant for MDD and

this would be adjudicated by your additional medical evidence.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Go with a condition that you can back up with records. You get 100% for MDD more easy than one for PTSD. I sometimes think that the VA believes they can guide vets towards filing for PTSD knowing this is one of the harder claims to prove. I was already SC for a mental condition when I went for TDIU and the doctor I saw kept repeating PTSD, and I was not claiming PTSD. I eventually got SC'ed for PTSD, but I never actually claimed it. I knew about the stressor and I did not want to have to verify a stressor when I was already SC'ed for a mental condition. I got my TDIU for schizophrenia and all the other conditions were grouped under that one diagnosis. When I filed for a mental condition in 1972 there was no such thing as PTSD, so the VA had to hang some other dianosis around my neck. Once it was SC'ed I stuck with that diagnosis and did not try and reinvent the wheel. I think the VA believes that every vet who files for an emotional disorder is trying to claim PTSD, and that is just not the case.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ya know what I think they are doing:

They are "breaking 'em out". They have already rated your PTSD and MDD. They are in the process of "working up" your MST.

If so, then you could be hearing something soon about your PTSD and MDD. They probably "inferred" the MST due to the PTSD and MDD diagnosi.

Hey, It Could Happen! :)