VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd C&p And Records

Rate this question

shortpig

Question

Here is my list of questions for today. Sorry I have so many.

1. Will I be able to still get my C-file after I have my C & P exam?

2. I have been diagnosed, PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Attacks, Agoraphobic, COPD, and I have chronic migraine attacks with vision issues I live in my comfort zone only other than that I have to have someone I trust with me to go somewhere, will they try to force me into a treatment center?

3. They say i originally filed a claim for benefits due to PTSD MST in 1979 but don't remember it what do I say when I was denied due to not showing up for an appt.?

4. How long will I have to continue to add info and records to my C-File?

Guess that is it for now.

Thank you all so much for being here and willing to help.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi...I understand what you are going thru...I have PTSD due to MST as well. I hope I can help as I successfully navigated the VA claims system.

As for your questions, I'll do the best I can as to what worked for me:

1. You can always get a copy of your c-file, but while your claim is being decided, it's best not to bother your c-file because it will just slow up the process.

2. No, they cannot force you into a treatment center.

3. Be honest...if you don't remember, just state that.

4. File all of your info for your claim upfront at one time...imo, continuing to add info by bits and pieces while your claim is being decided is a bad thing. It slows up your claim and does not make for a happy rater because it's confusing. The key to a good claim is evidence and organization!! It's better to spend a little extra time ensuring you have all of your evidence the first time rather than getting a denial due to lack of evidence and having to go thru the appeal process. Have patience...you can get this done yourself.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can go to the VARO and review your C File. They go and get it and put it back in same place. But wait till after a decision is made. That is a good time to ask for it.

PTSD claims require a stressor that the VA can substantiate and that can be hard. The best is a report in military records of incident but you can use official police records or even eye witness if you can get them.

Good Luck

Purple gave you good advice

You can go to the VARO and review your C File. They go and get it and put it back in same place. But wait till after a decision is made. That is a good time to ask for it.

PTSD claims require a stressor that the VA can substantiate and that can be hard. The best is a report in military records of incident but you can use official police records or even eye witness if you can get them.

Good Luck

Purple gave you good advice

Thank Pete. I have now seen my medical records and the trip in ambulance and exam are in there as plain as day. Also the depression I suffered from it while still in and the suicide attempt following which led to my expedicious discharge and threats of disciplinary action from the chain of command if I didn't agree to it. It's all in black and white. I believe this will help my claim and letters from my family as to how it has affected my life every since can't hurt.

Much appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

Materials Worth Reading; especially #4 (below) ~Wings

1. American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Washington DC: APA.

2. Institute of Medicine. 2007. PTSD Compensation and Military Service. Washington, DC: National Academies Press

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11870

3. U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. 2009. Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

4. Watson P, McFall M, McBrine C, Schnurr PP, Friedman MJ, Keane T, Hamblen JL. 2002. Best Practice Manual for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Compensation and Pension Examinations

http://www.avapl.org/pub/PTSD%20Manual%20final%206.pdf

Materials Worth Reading; especially #4 (below) ~Wings

Thank you Wings. I have been able to now get thru some of the materials and found them to be very interesting.

As I have said in a previous post, My trip to the hospital the night of the MST was documented by a trip to the hospital on base in an ambulance and then the exam. I was treated with lack of consideration by the team examining me at the hospital, They were cold, uncaring and were even making jokes while examining me regarding women in the military and what we were good for. Of course no documentation of that attitude. But there is an obvious change on the exam record at some time after the exam. My military records show that prior to and at time of discharge I was combative, suicidal, and had psychological issues. It also stated that if I refused to accept the discharge they were offering at the time I would more than likely need to be disciplined and brought back into line. I assume all of this will assist with my claim for PTSD, MDD, Depression, Anxiety, Panic Attacks and the like that I have filed. If I understand it right they will also find that my COPD and Agoraphobia is in direct relationship to all of these. I have no friends. I had a failed marriage that lasted about 2 yrs. I have been alone now with no relationships for about 20yrs and no interest in any.

I do work full time but it is also documented that there have been anger flares between myself and my boss. There are only the two of us in the office and sometimes we reach a very dangerous point working together.

How do you think this will turn out for me? My main reason for filing the claim is for me to be able to afford to get the help I need as my sick leave runs out early in the year and then I lose my wages from time off even to go to my appts with my psychologist.

shortpig, I'm not familiar with all your issues but I can tell you some things from my VA experience on getting PTSD claim. ALl those issues you claimed separately? if granted PTSD, all thsoe other issues fall under ptsd and none would be a separate claim, in my opinion. What are you claiming has caused your PTSD? combat or sexual assualt? then based on either of those how can they be proven to be service connected? if you were denied in 1979, it might be considered reopening a claim. You can always get a copy of your c-file. You are only entilted to 1 free copy, all others you pay. You must show a lot of paper work. Service medical records, Mental diagnosis (allof them), treatment records. I think you need to look at the rating critera becuase some of your stuff is generalized, no disrespect. Look up the different ratings and symptoms under them. I've been a mess and only got 50% and been in constant treatment for 4 yrs with notes etc.

I don't know, best I can for the moment. Hope any of my blabbing helps.