VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd C&p And Records

Rate this question

shortpig

Question

Here is my list of questions for today. Sorry I have so many.

1. Will I be able to still get my C-file after I have my C & P exam?

2. I have been diagnosed, PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Attacks, Agoraphobic, COPD, and I have chronic migraine attacks with vision issues I live in my comfort zone only other than that I have to have someone I trust with me to go somewhere, will they try to force me into a treatment center?

3. They say i originally filed a claim for benefits due to PTSD MST in 1979 but don't remember it what do I say when I was denied due to not showing up for an appt.?

4. How long will I have to continue to add info and records to my C-File?

Guess that is it for now.

Thank you all so much for being here and willing to help.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

shortpig-

i really hate to guess how the VA will decide on any claim. i know how they *should*...imo, your claim should be approved w/o any problem as it sounds like you have sufficient medical evidence. but i'm no rater. so what i say is just my 1/2 cent worth!!

all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that the VA does the right thing.

3. They say i originally filed a claim for benefits due to PTSD MST in 1979 but don't remember it what do I say when I was denied due to not showing up for an appt.?

short,

You may have filed a claim for mental health benefits in 1979 --

but I think diagnosis of PTSD conditions didn't start until the early 80's.

Someone will chime in on this for us - to be sure.

jmho,

carlie

If I understand it right they will also find that my COPD and Agoraphobia is in direct relationship to all of these.

You will need a a credentialed medical professional to makes statements or medical opinions to these conditions and relate them to active duty, or a disability already SC'd.

They will need to support their statement or opinion with medical rationale which is usually where they refer to evidence contained in SMR's.

The agoraphobia will probably be rolled into any rating for mental health.

I do not see any connection between Mental Health Disabilities and/or PTSD to COPD.

My main reason for filing the claim is for me to be able to afford to get the help I need as my sick leave runs out early in the year and then I lose my wages from time off even to go to my appts with my psychologist.

Do you have a local Vet Center or have you tried to get mental health care at VA ?

If not, you could start by going to the Women's Clinic at your VAMC or your PCP and

request a referral to the mental health department.

Also if you want you can request a female to provide mental health services.

Here's a link for a little Vet Center info.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

short,

Just to add food for thought.

If your disabilities get SC'd - the agoraphobia might

possibly result in an SMC for Housebound.

Other's would need to share their knowledge

on this as mine is very limited.

carlie

Thank you all for your help and assistance.

Carlie my med insurance covers my Dr Appts its the lost wages I can't afford. My Doc is great and is working with me on my claim. She is the one who diagnosed me with PTSD, MDD, and Agoraphobia. I was actually shocked when I looked at my Military Med records and found all the checkmarks on depressed and psychological issues. The letter I received from command at Fort Lewis stating they were discharging me due to psychological issues and my attempted suicide.

Even wrote in there the threat to discipline me if I didn't agree to the discharge. I have been told this is how they dealt with people like me from the Vietnam Era. I still don't remember opening a claim for benefits in the late 70's all I remember is applying for the schooling which I got and used for a couple terms but I was unable to stay focused when I was attending classes. I also used the VA advocate at the Unemployment office after I had been fired from my job to get my unemployment approved which they did.

It's kind of strange all the records I have seen it's almost as if the command at Ft Lewis, WA was setting me up to get my benefits once I was released.

As far as the COPD I noticed they had also checked on the release exam document that I suffered from Asthma. It has gotten alot worse due to my heavy smoking. Now I live on two different types of treatment everyday plus my rescue inhaler.

This is going to be a tough week for me preparing for the C&P and having to tell a stranger what happened to me and how it has affected me the last 30yrs or so. I'm hardly sleeping and the nightmares have increased if that's even possible.

I go to work today and will be in my office alone all day. Thanks to the company I work for I am allowed to walk in, lock the door behind me and see all that goes on outside. I'm only 3 blks from the police station and that is a big help. They want their employees to be safe first and foremost. Mainly because we work in the stock market, investments and they realize that there can definitely be some angry clients right now but so far ours have understood we have no control over what is happening right now. Big sign on the door says we don't accept any cash and keep none on the premises. Basically I will do work on my puter and answer the phones today which haven't been very busy lately. I just know though that if someone should ever come in angry and make threats it would be very hard for me to return to that office. Right now it is in my comfort zone but that would quickly remove it.

• HadIt.com Elder

1. Will I be able to still get my C-file after I have my C & P exam?

Yes. If you can drive to the RO, go ahead and review your C-file now. They will let you read it, but not sure if they will let you copy anything.

2. I have been diagnosed, PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Attacks, Agoraphobic, COPD, and I have chronic migraine attacks with vision issues. I live in my comfort zone only. Other than that, I have to have someone I trust with me to go somewhere, will they try to force me into a treatment center?

Unless you threaten bodily injury, you will be going home the same day. They have a waiting list for PTSD treatment centers.

3. They say i originally filed a claim for benefits due to PTSD MST in 1979, but don't remember it. What do I say when I was denied due to not showing up for an appt.?

Tell them you were sick or scared or whatever. Honesty is the best policy with the VA. PTSD wasn't added to the rating schedule until the early 80's, so whatever you filed a VA Claim for, it wasn't PTSD. Maybe it was MST, but they would have called it sexual assault or personal assault.

4. How long will I have to continue to add info and records to my C-File?

Your C-File is a perpetual record. But for this current claim, you can submit evidence to the VARO until the 11th hour of your claim. But once it goes to the rating team, realize that each time you submit additional evidence, they might have to re-evaluate that evidence and weigh it.

Guess that is it for now.

Thank you all so much for being here and willing to help.

I wanted to write to you sooner, but I couldn't get past your board name "short pig"? I dunno, it just felt sorta like a self esteem issue. Then again, you said you raise miniature horses and maybe it's just a farm name ... I'm a strange animal myself (and have PTSD issues). I'll just call you sister vet? ~Wings