Nc Vet Doing Battle With The C&p System

cannoncocker

I'm am introducing myself as I am sure I am just one among many that have encountered a bureaucracy that is beyond anything many have ever ancountered. I worked for the Army/DoD as a DAC after I finished 6.5 years as a gun bunny active duty so it's not like I don't have a clue how bureaucracies work, the size of the work load of the VA and National Service Officers and I do sympathize with their task.

But here is the "but" for me and my mini story. The entire process from trying to find a Veterans Service Organization that I am compatible with to the VARO has been absolutely adversarial. From every contact with my DAV representative, when in a blue moon you can actuay cantact them, it is clear they are doing you a favor. I have been told point blank by other VSO's NSO's that once you have selected a representative and opened or reopened a case they will not take it bacause as I was told they woud be at a disadvantage. Really of the entire pack the Winston-Salem VARO have been as accommodating of any person/organization I have had to endure.

If I knew what I knew then, more than a year ago when I reopened my claim, I would have never touched this. This has been one nightmare to another, with no end in sight. Contact your Constituent Services Representative Asheville Office of Congressman Heath Shuler and they will pay it lip service, claiming they do casework and have a VA Regional Liaison. The reality is they accomplish absolutely nothing tangible. Just I'll get right on that/keep me informed. They have done nothing but open a folder with my name on it, just like the DAV except the DAV is outright hostile.

Im 1990 The VA blindsided me but at least they were civil and I just let it go, but it has gone from day to night. What happened?

This is intolerable. They, meaning both the VSO's and the VA seem reponsible to no authority and are well aware of this.

Pease tell me it is just me! I don't want to think every vet has been treated like I have.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome aboard -As a claimant myself many times I have found a few things to be true-

1.I am the best rep I will ever have-

no rep or NSO I had ever took time to fully comprehend my claim-or offer good advise-but

they sure were quick however to take credit for the awards.

Then again there are some excellent reps out there as well-

2. Congessman Filner has been looking into my claim. I appreciate that-but I didn't ask him to-I have other issues I have brought to him since 2007= that I want him to help with-involving all vets and widows not just me-he is looking into it I guess because of my H VAC testimony a month ago.

3. The only thing that makes a claim succeed is medical evidence and an established nexus.

Congressmen and women cant provide that to VA for any vet and they often don't have a clue on the VA claims process anyhow unless they are members of the H VAC.

Even the President himself cannot generate a SC award.

It depends on medical evidence,current documented disability, and the established nexus.

If you have all that, at some point you will succeed.

Welcome aboard -As a claimant myself many times I have found a few things to be true-

1.I am the best rep I will ever have-

no rep or NSO I had ever took time to fully comprehend my claim-or offer good advise-but

they sure were quick however to take credit for the awards.

Then again there are some excellent reps out there as well-

2. Congessman Filner has been looking into my claim. I appreciate that-but I didn't ask him to-I have other issues I have brought to him since 2007= that I want him to help with-involving all vets and widows not just me-he is looking into it I guess because of my H VAC testimony a month ago.

3. The only thing that makes a claim succeed is medical evidence and an established nexus.

Congressmen and women cant provide that to VA for any vet and they often don't have a clue on the VA claims process anyhow unless they are members of the H VAC.

Even the President himself cannot generate a SC award.

It depends on medical evidence,current documented disability, and the established nexus.

If you have all that, at some point you will succeed.

Hi Berta, thank you for the reply. It appears you have been fighting the beast for awhile and have a considerable body of knowledge to draw on.

We are in 100% agreement that we are our own best representatives! My problem was that I went into this I was blind and dumb, expecting information and assistance be handed to me on a silver platter, if I thought about it at all. That was oh so stupid. Next problem is the body of information is not insurmountable but starting from knowing nothing with no and wrong advice coming at you is just crazy. It is like Thoracic surgery, that is easy if you know how. But it's the getting there, the knowledge you need to defend yourself is "a" tough part, all the while I had no idea I was in a battle.

My experience, which I agree with you and hope our elected reps, such as my case Senator Burr and Congressman Schuler have more to do than dwell on individual claimwork. Having said that they do have sections or individuals tasked to do VA Claimswork, with VA liaisons and as they put it a parallel effort rather than supplanting my representative of record, such as the DAV. To date I can't say they have done a single thing for me aside from giving me a shoulder to cry on, got a folder, put my name on it, then put my faxes in it. I suppose they also have an email folder too. But actualy bringing about a QTC exam or anything else, well nope. I have plain given up on the DAV. They would rather execute than help me.

The real problem and I bet many other vets need their help upfront. That would have helped so much and would have saved the VA, DAV, and the Constituent Services Representative a lot of time. If someone with knowledge would have sat me down, took 30 minutes, asked me a few question, listen to my narrative, then explain a plan. Just that would have solved all my current problems.

That is exactly why I joined the DAV and handed them 120 bucks. I would have felt much better donating that to the Salvation Army. At least I know for a fact they will help people in need. What I got was a claim reopened on the wrong form, I thought I was only adding 1 item to my current 30% claim. The DAV CDR never told me different till I started getting requests for information, records, forms for release of records rom the VA. Well from there it went straight down hill, opening and reopening my claim, and the regional dav rep. went off the deep end and had the people skills of a smackdown star. He actually told me not to respond to them.

My problem has never been proving a nexus or service connection, it's all procedural and no body at the regional office to put my claim togrther, and making sure the form and records are submitted. I have all the proof I need but absolutely no representation. If there was a chain of command for the VA or DAV it's beyond my reach.

Sorry, this is not the place for this. this is just suppose to be howdy so I got of track, but just a few minutes at the beginning would have done so much. I hope I just had some bad luck and others fair better. My only reccommendation would be is to know that when you open or reopen your claim it's all, not just one item, and learn the forms 21-4138/21-21-4142/VCAA Notice. Who knew? Not me and for 120 bucks seems like would have bought that, but evidently not. so be ready to fight your own fight and the VA IRIS system is your friend, especialy when you don't have a representative.

That enough whinning yet? Berta, if you have any more ideas on how these things should start I would really like to hear it. I'm no genius, just recounting my experience. And don't get me wrong, I should have done more homework and known what I was doing, which I clearly didn't have a clue. But I thought I was going to get some correct advice from the DAV. Shows how much I knew.

I read in your post that you said you have all of the proof you need and evidence but no one to put it together for you and represent you? Well, just as Berta said YOU are your best advocate!! You don't have to have someone to represent you.

I did my own claim all myself...organized the evidence, put it all together, submitted it....and it wasn't a problem at all.

Reps are not mandatory despite what the VA drills into your head.

As long as you have medical evidence to back it your claim & it is organized and all of the proper forms are completed...that's all you need! A rep isn't going to do anything different. Just be sure to submit all of your evidence the first time around...if you think you are missing something.....wait. Don't submit a claim with holes in it; the VA will find those holes and use it to deny; then you will wind up in the appeals process until the end of time.

It's better to wait and submit a completed, full claim the first time around, than to hurry and submit a half-done claim just to get a couple of weeks earlier date. It's not worth it.