VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shots In Spine

Rate this question

WAKO/VN-65-66

Question

:) Next month I am going for cortisone shots in my back to releive the pain. Had one in my thumb the other day for a trigger finger. Got a local shot before cortisone shot and very painful, after that I was a littel concerned about the ones I will be getting in my spine. Getting it at the VA hospital, and have to go to surgery, they said, they use a xray to guide the needle, so as to not hit any nerves to cause any permenent paralisis. What do you guys think on this, any info would help. :)

WAKO

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had the cortisone shots every week for three weeks. They lasted about six months then gradually back to where it was before. I had to actually check into the hospital every friday morning. get hooked up to IV. The anestheologist gives you enough juice to knock you out and you're walking out the door 2 hours later. (a little wobbly). I would recommend but don't think it's gonna fix anything. Just delays. surgery. Hope you feel better.

My advice is for anyone who fears these things to ask for consious sedation. The last time I had a severe reaction and my heart rate hit 0.

Not to scare anyone but it happens fairly often.

J

Oh sir! They have offered me cortisone injections for both bilateral post bunionectomies and S1 nerve root problem, and am scared just plain stiff about anything the VA passes through my skin barrier. But flatline? I don't think so! I can muster up the guts to do whatever is called for when it is called for but sorry, you are a better man than me. They offered me the surgery route as secondary for the S1 problem which I am in complete accord with the gentleman that said if you can still move and stand the pain put it off.

As long as I can put on my own pants on and live some kinda normal life, no surgery or injection for me and I would tell my own family the same thing. Heck, on the fron page there was a subject regarding VA/colonoscopy/HIV. I pesonally got Hep C, went through the interferon, when that was all there was for treatment, and got cured, but since I have never been an IV drug user, the only place that could have come from would be the active duty surgeries, vaccinations, or the VA stuff. Lesson I got was avoid anything that breaks your skin. some people don't give that enough credibility but you take a chance. Ask any Dr. Do not understimate the risk!

just my take on it, some things are worth the risk, but just something to conssider.

Thank you for the flatline info. I had no idea!

:o Well I did get the shots and it went pretty good. However the bulging disk was on my right side with the pain, they gave me the shots on the left, I told them and they all said it would be fine. It does feel better but still have the pain on the right, will see the DRS. in two weeks, think I have to go thru this all over again ???? :unsure:

That doesn't sound right...pain on right...shot on left...doesn't sound good to me. But I hope you are feeling better. Best regards.