VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shots In Spine

Rate this question

WAKO/VN-65-66

Question

:) Next month I am going for cortisone shots in my back to releive the pain. Had one in my thumb the other day for a trigger finger. Got a local shot before cortisone shot and very painful, after that I was a littel concerned about the ones I will be getting in my spine. Getting it at the VA hospital, and have to go to surgery, they said, they use a xray to guide the needle, so as to not hit any nerves to cause any permenent paralisis. What do you guys think on this, any info would help. :)

WAKO

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have been a chronic pain patient for 20 years.. and have been addicted to the pain meds for probably 10 or more.. But, they keep me alive.. if you need them, you need them, there is only so much a pain a person can take.. the addiction is just that if they are not taken at the times they are suppose to be taken, in those intervals, you become very sick, and suffer greatly.. also, some pain meds have side effects, mood swings.. but the pain in itself causes mood swings.. not one time have I had any euphoria.. too bad,,, all these years of suffering that would be a gift..

The back problems have left me crippled... cannot empty the dishwasher without suffering greatly,, and if I do not become crippled more during bending over.. soon after the next day I will be unable to get out of bed.. to top that off with intestinal disase and pain..

I just wish they would have fused a couple of my discs L- discs togther...

I have had stuff interested through my body under x-ray scopes before.. I am not looking forward to it.. it's not pain I am worried about,, (well actually yes... that sucks..) it just totally freaks me out having the procedure done...

:unsure:

I have L4/L5 compression and went to the pain clinic (not related to the VA). They first gave me some temporary blockers applied to the nerves. This was to make sure that they got the proper ones. The following week the applied the real thing to temporally block the nerves. It worked for 3 months and then I had to go back and do it all over again. They were supposed to work for at least 6 months. They will do this until you cry UNCLE or do something else. In my case I said UNCLE and moved on to a pain path. I wish I never went to the patch as I am addicted and it is going to be a bear getting off it as they do not want you on them long term just because you will get " the monkey on your back" no pun intended. Fentanyl is an opium and is hard to come off.

I have L4/L5 compression and went to the pain clinic (not related to the VA). They first gave me some temporary blockers applied to the nerves. This was to make sure that they got the proper ones. The following week the applied the real thing to temporally block the nerves. It worked for 3 months and then I had to go back and do it all over again. They were supposed to work for at least 6 months. They will do this until you cry UNCLE or do something else. In my case I said UNCLE and moved on to a pain path. I wish I never went to the patch as I am addicted and it is going to be a bear getting off it as they do not want you on them long term just because you will get " the monkey on your back" no pun intended. Fentanyl is an opium and is hard to come off.
I have those shots a couple of time's and did not work for me. I had the fusion surgery and wish I'd waited because it's worst than ever.

In 2 weeks I am getting shots in my spine too to relive pain. My first surgery was 20 years ago. I had L4 disc removed, and have degenerative disc disease. I also suffer from myotonic Dystrophy and spent 6 months int he VA hospital for pancreas sugery to remove a cyst.

I am wondering if the spinal shots will be of help? I suppose they help some people more than others.. I am just looking for feedback.. I also have some forum posts here about my new claim... but those are other issues...

Thanx..

:unsure:

The shot's did nothing for me

• HadIt.com Elder

I suffer from back problems that turn out to be four herniated disks that only showed up on an MRI--

(Makes it almost impossible to SC them.)

If you must have your back operated on -- remember that something like only 50% of time, classic surgical intervention actually works well. The doctors prefer to not talk about the other 50%.

Having said that-- you should investigate "The Laser Spine Institute" and similar techniques as alternatives to "classic" spine surgery. The longer you wait for surgical intervention, the less likely hood of complete resolution.

The shot's did nothing for me