VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Exam Done, Mainly Back Issue's

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

I had my first exam that the VA set up last week. I had a disk fusion on my L5-S1 last year after my disk collasped while still on active duty. I got out on the 15 of this month. I also have been having pain radiating down both legs and have been going to the clinic to have it checked out, which that did nothing for me but I do have it documented that I have been going to be seen for it. My discharge physical states that my ROM was 20 percent fwd and 0 percent back and 10 percent bilateral. It also say's decrease sharp/dull left calf lateral foot.

The doc that I seen through the VA ROM measurments were 15 fwd ,10 back, 15 bilateral. He also performed the test where you lay on your back and he raises your legs one at a time, he told the nurse who was writing everything down that I was positive for both which I still am not sure what that means. The nurse told the doc that I also probally had Unfavorable ankylosis of the spine but the doc got a little upset with that and said no becuase it is ONLY one disk fused. He told the nurse to write that I have IVDS. He also found a lump in the wrong place and that I might have prostate cancer, he said he would set up an oppointment for that.

I guess I am here to see what you all think, I also went to see the another doc about tinnitis. She said that I do have some hearing loss in my left ear, she said she would put in her report that my tinnitis is service connected or due to.

I have applied for Voc Rehab and got the approval and they said that I am atleast 20 percent. I am not sure what percentage I am since ofcourse you dont see the doc report untill later.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I am not an expert at this and so I will tell you what I have seen working as an LPN in the Va (no longer) and learning from other disabled vets. Any chance I got to learn something from another vet was music to my ears because I am a disabled vet and I felt like this was the only way to get the God's honest truth regarding service connection disabilities. No one at the Va Hosp. really knows anything about percentages/disabilities. Based on my experience 80% of staff were only there for a freakin pay check and good benefits. Thats why I had to leave because for me it was conflict of interest. I cared to much about my brothers and sister's to allow or tolerate veterans being treated like crap. But anyway getting back to your back. FIrst thing is first make sure you keep a copy of all of your military medical records. You may not think you need them any more but then BAMMM, you will need it, TRUST ME ON THIS! Ok with any injury/illness comes secondary effects that you may not see now but TRUST ME AGAIN...You will. THe back/spinal cord is crutial to be able to function live a normal life, pretty much everything you do requires the use of your back. Ok I think you got that already. Secondary side effect from a bad back can result in posture ploblems, knee, ankle, feet. I am sure there are more but these are the few that I know of. If your back start effecting any other part of your body, you need to visit the doctor. Very important! DOCUMENT< DOCUMENT, and DOCUMENT some more. Ok then put in another claim for secondary side effect because your claim can state that if you would have never injusred your back, your knee (just an example) would have never been effected. WHen a person is in pain they must always state this at every Doctors visit. The nurse may ask you while she is taking yout vitals if you are having pain. I dont care if at that particular moment you are not having pain but if you did last night or right before your appointment PLEASE tell her yes. All of this is documented and reviewed when you put in a claim. If you have been to the Doctors for an entire year and not one visit have you indicated that your back hurts, GUESS WHAT, how can you substantiate to the board that you want an increase because you back has worsened. Doesn't make any sense. If everytime you visit the doctor for back pain and he gives you pain meds but you fail to aquire all of the refills given, this doesn't make your case look any better. Pain medications can be very addictive especially if they are narcotic. If you don't need to take them please don't. Unfortunately the stronger the pain med the more weight you have towards getting an increase. THey take multiple things into consideration for increases. You may qualify for clothing allowance which is given to you like the military does (once a year) only certain disabilities requireing the use of braces or petroleom based creams can recieve. I believe if you are Service connected for you back and you require the use of a back brace (not the girdle type) the ones with metal brackets, this will qualify you for that. Anyway good luck, I hope I was able to shed a little light on this process. Good Luck :unsure:

One more thing. Pain is considered chronic pain after six months of being in pain. Based soley on what I have experienced and seen. Men are the providers (most men atleast) and are taught to be strong, and only the weak will complain. When something is left in the dark it will come to light one way or another. Unfortunately alot of people that have to endure disabilities that limit their quality of life eats them up inside and they become depress. If any of your disabilities begin to effect this....You need to seek a referal for Mental Health. Depression in people that suffer pain if left untreated will only prolong the pain and even intensify it. High insight leaving you will another seconadary side effect. If you never injured your back.....your chances of being depressed because of your limitations created by this disability would have never begun.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Go to all of your appointments. Get copies and read what the Doctor has said about his findings. Example: I have seen this oh too much. Dr. sometime put down patient has continued to state that his right knee hurts him when walking. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Patient has continued to state that his LEFT knee hurts. Watch out what the Doctors write in your medical records, it may might be completely correct.

One more thing. Pain is considered chronic pain after six months of being in pain. Based soley on what I have experienced and seen. Men are the providers (most men atleast) and are taught to be strong, and only the weak will complain. When something is left in the dark it will come to light one way or another. Unfortunately alot of people that have to endure disabilities that limit their quality of life eats them up inside and they become depress. If any of your disabilities begin to effect this....You need to seek a referal for Mental Health. Depression in people that suffer pain if left untreated will only prolong the pain and even intensify it. High insight leaving you will another seconadary side effect. If you never injured your back.....your chances of being depressed because of your limitations created by this disability would have never begun.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Go to all of your appointments. Get copies and read what the Doctor has said about his findings. Example: I have seen this oh too much. Dr. sometime put down patient has continued to state that his right knee hurts him when walking. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Patient has continued to state that his LEFT knee hurts. Watch out what the Doctors write in your medical records, it may might be completely correct.

Thank you for the reply's, I have every piece of medical documtation. I continue to do what I can to keep as healthy as possible, as we all know some things are just out of our hands. Thanks again..

• HadIt.com Elder

I was taking morphine and then methadone for chronic pain. These drugs made me sick. I ended up taking percoset which just makes me dizzy. These are the only choices the VA gave me for pain meds. If you can't stand the morphine, methadone or even percoset then tough shit. I have been taking the percoset for years so I know I am dependent on the stuff. I take it because I hurt so just stopping it won't work.

I did learn that complaining about your pain meds will get you in trouble with the VA. It is the best way to get them to try and cut you off.

how many days notice did they gave you to have your exam?

Gulf Vet, QTC called and sent me my appointments about 2-3 weeks proir.